• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Minimum foundation wall height?

SDS

2018 IRC

Is there a minimum concrete foundation wall height when using a 2-pour footing and stemwall?

If I've got a 12 inch frost depth to bottom of footing, and the footing is 6 inches tall.
And I've got to have 6 inches clearance from finished grade to top of stemwall
That makes a 12 inch tall stemwall.

With a slab-on-grade floor, flush with the top of the stemwall.

I can't find anything that mentions a minimum height, only maximums.

The only issue I can find is that R4031.3.1 states the required vertical rebar on a 2-pour foundation has to extend at least 14 inches into the stemwall. Add a couple inches so its not sticking out the top and spalling and you're looking at a 16 inch minimum height. It seems to be the only thing that is dictating a minimum height in the IRC

What am I missing?

The mono slab doesn't prevent that.

I don't believe there is a minimum stem wall height - just minimum footing and minimum clear of wood etc from soil.

And personally, I think that 6" is a code minimum and not good design. I'd prefer a foot.

I would agree that 12-inches is better it allows for the sheeting and exterior siding to be at a height that allows for a future concrete patio pour against the foundation stem wall or (rat race wall). In the midwest we would get a few snows that would settle next to the siding, this extra height helps. We poured it the same width as a poured foundation wall and blocked out for patio doors or walkout door.