• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Mixed use building insulation question

ceeefour

SAWHORSE
State of Washington here.
Barn type structure with the lower floor as an A2 or A3 for hosting weddings, gatherings, reunions, and similar assembly functions.
back 1/4 of the barn has a 2nd floor apartment that will be an R1.

Both spaces are heated/conditioned. The building will have automatic fire suppression and a 1 hour floor ceiling between the apartment and the A occupancy below.

Question is this. Does the floor ceiling need to have it's own insulation and it's own thermal envelope or does the fact that the lower portion is conditioned with an envelope that meets or exceeds the requirements of the R1 satisfy the requirements?
I have exhaustively read the Washington energy code as well as the IBC and can't find anything definitive. Thanks in advance for the input.

Fellow Washingtonian here.... The minimum requirement in the WSEC is for the building thermal envelope, therefore if both areas are fully conditioned, the requirement for insulation relies upon the IBC (see Francis's post) for acoustical dampening.

However, make sure to check out C402.1.1.1 Semi-heated buildings and spaces; if the A occupancy has large barn doors that can be fixed in an open position during events (open air vibe) or owner wants to save some on energy bills, insulation may be required as if part of the building thermal envelope.

Generally speaking, if you are the owner/builder/etc., put it in - the cost is minimal for what you get in return.

2015 Washington State Energy Code
C101.4.1 Mixed occupancy. Where a building includes both residential and commercial occupancies, each occupancy shall be separately considered and meet the applicable provisions of WSEC--Commercial Provisions or WSEC--Residential Provisions.

Yes
You need to insulate the floor/ceiling space

You know this is a self supporting site

Please join as a Sawhorse and help support the site and get all your questions answered for free!!!!

We are here to help.
DONE!
I am a Sawhorse now. Thanks for helping keep this board going. I was a member a long while back but have been absent. Good to see some familiar names and great discussions.

DONE!
I am a Sawhorse now. Thanks for helping keep this board going. I was a member a long while back but have been absent. Good to see some familiar names and great discussions.
DONE!

Yea !!! Two more recruits and I get a toaster.

DONE!

Now you can upload pictures easily