• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Mixing the IRC and IBC

classicT

Staff member
When the local draftsman cannot figure out a conventional brace wall layout and kicks the design off to an engineer for a lateral design, what are you willing to accept? Do you accept just the lateral design (i.e. no foundation plan)? I've got a plan where the engineer only performed the lateral design; Eng. did not review gravity loads nor provide structural framing and foundation plans.

R301.1.3 Engineered Design
Where a building of otherwise conventional construction contains structural elements exceeding the limits of Section R301 or otherwise not conforming to this code, these elements shall be designed in accordance with accepted engineering practice. The extent of such design need only demonstrate compliance of nonconventional elements with other applicable provisions and shall be compatible with the performance of the conventional framed system. Engineered design in accordance with the International Building Code is permitted for buildings and structures, and parts thereof, included in the scope of this code.

If it is not designed in compliance with the prescriptive requirements of the IRC, engineers stamp required on the entire design.

Before becoming an Inspector i built or oversaw homes all over the south sound and Olympic peninsula.almost all of these were prescriptive houses with a engineered shear wall design. I had on problems getting these through permitting with just the brace wall plan stamped. I now see a lot of plans across my desk with this as well. This seems to me to be a industry standard here, but that is just my opinion.