• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Modifications to the I-Codes

JBI

Other than Chapter 1, to what extent does your State (or Local Jurisdiction) modify the I-Codes? (pretty much everybody adopts a different Chapter 1...)

Do you publish a supplement document, or State specific Codes? (NYS has previously printed Codes of NYS)

All input welcome and appreciated, thank you.

Both building and fire code modified , a little of the other I's also

Mainly chapters 9&10 and a little of a few other chapters

By city ordinance

Available in written and online for free

Commercially....2003 Icodes except 2009 IECC....Modified in 2005, 2009, 2011....Supplement or amendment found at CT

2011 NEC mildly modified

2009 IRC....modify stairs and still 5/8 in the garage and a lot of stuff we can't let go of, no sprinklers...

In Nebraska the state makes very few changes but they allow local jurisdictions to amend as they want. The state did amend out the fire sprinkler requirements from the IRC in the 2009 and I would anticipate they will do the same in the future.

Minor changes to Chapter 1, otherwise a few amendments throughout the I-Codes, reflecting some Uniform Code requirements.

Illinois has its own Energy, Plumbing, and Accessibility codes, has adopted the 2000 NFPA 101 statewide, and specifies that the minimum building code(s) any jurisdiction can enforce are the 2006 I-codes.

Locally, we've adopted the 2009 I's, with very few exemptions. Sadly, residents have to come in and ask me to see them, because they're not publically accessible online. :(

JBI said:
Other than Chapter 1, to what extent does your State (or Local Jurisdiction) modify the I-Codes? (pretty much everybody adopts a different Chapter 1...)Do you publish a supplement document, or State specific Codes? (NYS has previously printed Codes of NYS)

All input welcome and appreciated, thank you.
Different agencies in California modify almost everything. Sometimes agencies change the same section differently.

So you sometimes need to know what The AHJ is for the project.

Pennsylvania

In Pennsylvania we are still under 2009 IBC with the exception of Chapter 11 Accessibility (adopted 2012) and Chapter 30 which we are required to follow the Labor and Industry Elevator Division. While this might need to be its own post, I believe the main reason we did not get 2012 adopted was the 1 and 2 family residential sprinkler requirements. Does anyone think that the ICC would ever consider having a Type V-NS construction for dimensional lumber (2x minimum framing for floor joists and roof framing) without sprinklers and a Type V-S for lightweight (I-joists and roof trusses) with sprinklers?

The state modifies the codes and publishes them on the states website

Sprinklers are not required in all R occupancies.

Exceptions for rating existing corridors in an E occupancy

Plumbing Table has been modified

Snow loads are determined locally

There are other minor modifications

Te

annoyitated said:
In Pennsylvania we are still under 2009 IBC with the exception of Chapter 11 Accessibility (adopted 2012) and Chapter 30 which we are required to follow the Labor and Industry Elevator Division. While this might need to be its own post, I believe the main reason we did not get 2012 adopted was the 1 and 2 family residential sprinkler requirements. Does anyone think that the ICC would ever consider having a Type V-NS construction for dimensional lumber (2x minimum framing for floor joists and roof framing) without sprinklers and a Type V-S for lightweight (I-joists and roof trusses) with sprinklers?
Problem normally is not what you build a building with,,,

It is all the junk stuck in it

Oh and No

cda...My understanding is the response time for fire-fighters. A structure using 2x or better framing gives fire department personnel approximately 15-20 minutes from the point of inception while the lighter framing, I-joists and trusses, allows only about 5-8 minutes until point of failure. The "junk" stuck in it has gotten to be more hazardous to breath and may burn faster but if the mass of the structure can provide some protection to offset mandatory sprinklers it might be something that could actually be adopted. Not everyone in our state has access to an affordable method of providing sprinklers systems in their houses. Just a thought....

annoyitated said:
cda...My understanding is the response time for fire-fighters. A structure using 2x or better framing gives fire department personnel approximately 15-20 minutes from the point of inception while the lighter framing, I-joists and trusses, allows only about 5-8 minutes until point of failure. The "junk" stuck in it has gotten to be more hazardous to breath and may burn faster but if the mass of the structure can provide some protection to offset mandatory sprinklers it might be something that could actually be adopted. Not everyone in our state has access to an affordable method of providing sprinklers systems in their houses. Just a thought....
Well if the house is burning bewteen 15 to 20 minutes, more than likely, they will want a bulldozer and a new house, and hopefully everyone has goten out, which is what is important. Just my opinion watching houses burn.

To me it is either sprinkle or not sprinkle, no matter what they build the house out of.

What ICC did do in 2012 IRC Section R501.3 Fire Protection of Floors addresses the concern of using light weight or engineered wood floors. This was a result of several fire fighter incident testimonies.

The 2015 IRC ICC realized the need to put back the 2 hr. townhouse common walls for where the sprinkler are not mandatory.

The engineered wood manufacturers are also stepping up their game with intumescent coatings on their lightweight products.

We are seeing some listed/tested aftermarket coatings also. Still waiting on the certificate from the applicator, for a C.O. to be issued.