• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Moral of the story...FOLLOW YOUR INSTINCTS!

LARMGUY

Bronze Member
We have an existing access control customer that expanded into a new building. We were brought in from the start to assist in the planning and code compliances for access control. No biggie, just some public areas, stairs, elevators, fire alarm integration, (us), and CCTV (also us).

From the beginning, we were told the front doors were going to be double doors with one stationary non electrified crashbar and one access controlled electrified crashbar. From the start, the electricians were to provide conduit to the electrified door from the crashbar's power supply which was over 50 feet away. There was also to be a removable center mullion. This sounded feasible but I was uneasy about the second non-electrified crashbar and the fact the doors would be quite a distance away from the power supply. The customer was warned on numerous occasions during our weekly construction meetings this would be a one time decision once installed because the doors were surrounded by glass and wood trim which could not be removed if they changed their minds. The customer was adamant that the front door configuration was passed by their board and the AHJ and would never change.

The electricians moved the power supply box even further away so we had to increase the wire gauge size again to accommodate the voltage drop. This maxed out the already run 1/2 conduit fill to the door because the 12 conductor access control cable was in the same conduit. Again, no changes to the front doors.

The glazers did their job followed by the finish carpenters and their expensive wood trim, glued and nailed. All of our wiring was pulled to the power supply for the control and to the door reader, contacts, REX motion, and down the jamb for the transfer hinge.

True to form, the change order came down to change both doors to electrified vertical rods with crashbars. Having no extra cables from the power supply to the added door, we dutifully ran a 12 gauge pair for a power jumper from the electrified door to the added door. See rule #1 in customer service, something about them always being right.

Of course the problems we had warned our customer about began. The doors would not open and stay open upon input either controlled by time zone or card read. I explained the causation and even demonstrated their initial single door setup would work by disconnecting the second door. After weeks of back and forth finger pointing and multiple service calls trying even the door contact wires for the additional power I was fed up.

On the last service call we were going to perform I had an epiphany. I watched the doors try to work then both solenoids quit holding after a few seconds. I disconnected the first door and the second one unlocked! I added the first door to the circuit and it too unlocked and stayed unlocked! I had to delay the second door power to unlock after the first door! I proved this by manually making the connection to the second door after the first unlocked and leaving for the day then returning to check my theory. I added an IDEC GT3 series 24 VDC DPDT timer relay which delayed the second door unlock by 3 seconds. http://us.idec.com/Catalog/ProductSeries.aspx?SeriesName=GT3A_Series&FamilyName=Timers This let the power supply open both front doors and keep them open all day. The bonus was the relay fit inside the second crashbar not interfering with the mechanism. This fix has worked for over two years with no problems

My take away on this experience is always plan for the change order even if they swear on a Bible there will never be one. A few extra dollars would have made us heros without all of the grief both of us experienced.

Great story! Unfortunately LARMGUY, your instincts (and others) cannot be

justified by the bean counters in the beginning. They simply have to go

through expensive & painful learning curve.

LGreene said:
The Von Duprin power supply for 2 EL devices does exactly what you described - stagger the rearm so there's enough juice.
Correct but I had no way to provide the separate power due to conduit fill. I had to use a single powered pair.

"The Von Duprin power supply for 2 EL devices does exactly what you described - stagger the rearm so there's enough juice."

With the correct option board. Agreed, all exit device manufacturers have had this trouble and offer a solution. A similar problem exists when latch retraction is used with an operator; energize the operator AFTER we pull in the latch.

As LARMGUY says in #4, the power and control cabling is still an issue, regardless of the power supply and option board combination used.

I wish I had seen this. Has anyone used it?Security Door Controls (SDC) Model LR100VDK:Field Installed Electric Latch Retraction Retrofit Kit for Von Duprin Exit Devices

View attachment 576

http://www.sdcsecurity.com/whatsnew2.aspx#lr100The mere 450mA inrush powering Security Door Controls’ new electric latch retraction retrofit kit is attractive enough. Its compatibility with all Von Duprin touch bar style devices may make it just about irresistible. Optional request to exit switch kits are available. The unit is usable for access control and electric dogging applications.The small inrush is huge. (I always wanted to say that.) High inrush electric latch retraction requires special, expensive power supplies. Not so with the LR100VDK. Your average regulated and filtered 1-amp 24vdc power supply will do nicely, thank you.Another great aspect of this kit is that it is compatible with the Von Duprin 22 series exit device. So now, for relatively short money you can give a customer electric latch retraction in a decent quality exit device.View attachment 576

/monthly_2012_05/LR100VD.jpg.9153e7b9db7c983abb3852696a8cf762.jpg

"I wish I had seen this. Has anyone used it?"

I just got an email from SDC a few days ago about it.

Their poop sheet says "UL Classified for use with 3hr fire rated & non-fire rated exit devices"... I am wondering how Von Duprin, Sargent, Yale, Corbin and the rest feel about modifications to their UL listed hardware, fire rated or not.