• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Most common issues with foundation inspections and what options do you give contractors for corrections?

patrickjames

If you have a soft footing during the probing of soil conditions do you make the contractor
A) Provide a letter from an engineer to verify soil consistency compacted to 98% of A.S.T.M.D 698 (standard proctor)
B) Do you allow them to undercut 6-8 inches and add # 57 Gravel?
C) Tamp the footing until the footing is tight?
D) Allow time to dry and inspect at a later date?
E) Dig the footing down until it is Tight and add additional concrete?
F) Remove the steel from the footing and allow the contractor to dig the footing 2 inches deeper and pour a mudsill?

Just looking for some options to offer the contractor with the engineer letter being a last resort. I don't want to cost my customers anymore time and money .But I still have to do my job correctly.

Also how do most inspectors probe the soil at the bottom of the footing? I have a fiberglass rod and I just put enough pressure on the rod to bend it. Just straight up and down with firm pressure. If it bends and it is not easily pressed into the earth I'm ok with it. I could bury it if I wanted too , but I was trained to just apply some pressure. I have heard of other inspectors that will really put a great amount of pressure , and that may be the right way, It was just not the way I was trained.

I just wanted to hear from some other inspectors to see what their thoughts on this subject are.

Thanks

Patrick

If the inspector is directing anything other than what is in the construction documents or what is in the code the inspector has stepped outside his lane and is acting as a design professional. This means that the inspector would no longer have immunity.

Your duty is to the city and the public. The applicants are not your customers.

I am not sure what you mean by probing. What is the testing protocol? What is your technical criteria? How is this defined by the code?

If there is a problem with the soil under the footing it is questionable that most of the options you list would solve the problem.

I have a metal rod that is a tad over 1/8” diameter. It has a handle and was made for what I don’t know. I can’t find it at the moment so no picture is available. I used it when i suspected the consolidation of the soil. That was maybe a dozen times in twenty-five years. The most commen test was a piece of #4 rebar and if it slid in there was a problem.
I would not provide mitigation measures.

Last edited:
What is the technical basis for the 1/8" rod?

There need to be consequences for when an inspector goes off script.

What is the technical basis for the 1/8" rod?

There need to be consequences for when an inspector goes off script.
That was what I had. Staying on script is what exactly? Please explain what staying on script looks like when the soil has obvious issues.

If you believe there are obvious issues you look to the code. On what basis are you saying there are obvious issues? Does the IRC establish technical criteria?

From a practical perspective if you have concerns but only have subjective criteria then fail the inspection and suggest that they hire an engineer to respond to your concerns. The engineer will either provide technical data, likely based on the IBC, that shows that the subgrade is acceptable or a report of the repairs to the subgrade showing that as repaired it complies.

If the inspector is directing anything other than what is in the construction documents or what is in the code the inspector has stepped outside his lane and is acting as a design professional. This means that the inspector would no longer have immunity.

Your duty is to the city and the public. The applicants are not your customers.

I am not sure what you mean by probing. What is the testing protocol? What is your technical criteria? How is this defined by the code?

If there is a problem with the soil under the footing it is questionable that most of the options you list would solve the problem.
Mark K how do you conduct your foundation inspection?

I have a metal rod that is a tad over 1/8” diameter. It has a handle and was made for what I don’t know. I can’t find it at the moment so no picture is available. I used it when i suspected the cohesion of the soil. That was maybe a dozen times in twenty-five years. The most commen test was a piece of #4 rebar and if it slid in there was a problem.
I would not provide mitigation measures.
Ice, how do you conduct you foundation inspection?

Mark K how do you conduct your foundation inspection?
Ice, how do you conduct you foundation inspection?

Patrickjames, you have some very good questions. It seems that it's easier to rag on the inspector than to provide guidence when asked. I'm not sure this was the intent of this forum, I believe the founder wants some educational value taken from this platform.

I also will ask the question, "How do you conduct a foundation (footing) inspection?"

I was taught the boot heal impression method.

I witnessed an engineer use a pencil probe.

Patrickjames, you have some very good questions. It seems that it's easier to rag on the inspector than to provide guidence when asked. I'm not sure this was the intent of this forum, I believe the founder wants some educational value taken from this platform.

I also will ask the question, "How do you conduct a foundation (footing) inspection?"

I was taught the boot heal impression method.

I witnessed an engineer use a pencil probe.
I have a fiberglass rod and I just put enough pressure on the rod to bend it. Just straight up and down with firm pressure. If it bends and it is not easily pressed into the earth I'm ok with it. I could bury it if I wanted too , but I was trained to just apply some pressure. I have heard of other inspectors that will really put a great amount of pressure , and that may be the right way, It was just not the way I was trained.

I am not familiar with the boot heel impression method .

It is called a T-probe. Every geo-tech uses one, and it is a non-scientific method that only those with substantial experience should use. That said, it is a dummy-check. If you sink the probe a foot, that tells you that the soil is not firm and unyielding. If it only penetrates an inch or two, that's probably pretty good for silty or sandy soils. A couple inches into compacted gravel would be bad news though too.

1648740173897.png

This is good information.

The heel method. A hard boot heel depressed into the footing dig, if no impression, good to go!

Footings:
No crumb, no roots or foreign objects except for a plumbing sleeve is permitted.
Rebar can't touch soil.
Look for grass line to determine fills
Look a corner hubs for house placement
Black soil, sometimes called gumbo will usually need the engineer. We mainly have hard clay sility clay, shale and rock
Verify pier pad locations and thickness with plans. Field changes and verifications.
Ufer tie and location
Silt fence enforcement

Foundations:
Location to hubs
Anchor bolt verification
Foundation hold downs
Beam pocket locations
Foundation step downs, blocking and window block-outs
Foundation bracing
Rebar verification, location in wall panel and column rebar size and count

I probably left something out, but its not a playday out there!

It is called a T-probe. Every geo-tech uses one, and it is a non-scientific method that only those with substantial experience should use. That said, it is a dummy-check. If you sink the probe a foot, that tells you that the soil is not firm and unyielding. If it only penetrates an inch or two, that's probably pretty good for silty or sandy soils. A couple inches into compacted gravel would be bad news though too.

View attachment 8750
This is what I have in addition to a metal rod.

The heel method. A hard boot heel depressed into the footing dig, if no impression, good to go!

Footings:
No crumb, no roots or foreign objects except for a plumbing sleeve is permitted.
Rebar can't touch soil.
Black soil, sometimes called gumbo will usually need the engineer. We mainly have hard clay sility clay, shale and rock
Verify pier pad locations and thickness with plans. Field changes and verifications.
Ufer tie and location
Silt fence enforcement

Foundations:
Location to hubs
Anchor bolt verification
Foundation hold downs
Beam pocket locations
Foundation bracing

Thank you !

Footings:
Rebar can't touch soil.
Ufer tie and location
Silt fence enforcement

Foundations:
Location to hubs
Anchor bolt verification
Foundation hold downs
Beam pocket locations
Foundation bracing

This is what I have made for inspections
Inspections checklist for foundation inspection to be looked at after inspection but before you leave the job site just in case you forgot something. After all ,we are mere mortals and make mistakes.

• Permit and Plans on site?
  • Any revisions or deviations from approved plans must be submitted for approval.
  • Weather conditions?
  • Contractor or owner on site?
  • Any additional information provided by the inspector?
  • Verify lot lines and setbacks (check for any planning and zoning special instructions.)
  • Verify the type of foundation to be used per the approved plans ( engineered plans, monolithic Slab on ground with turned down footing, slab on ground with masonry stemwall and spread footing, basement or crawl space with masonry wall and spread footing etc.)
  • Verify soil consistency compacted to 98% of A.S.T.M.D 698 (standard proctor)(probing of soil conditions) is a compaction verification needed? Can the contractor dig down to the hard firm soil?
  • Verify foundation meets the construction plot plan submitted.
  • Verify footer depth min 12" below undisturbed soil ( R 403.14 )
  • Verify footer width ( R403.1.1, table R403.1 , for sloped footings use R403.1.5)
  • All loose soil, mud, debris, or water removed from the bottom of footings.
  • Verify foundation steel requirements to include laps, ties and splices. ( R403.1.3)
  • Grade Beams , clean from debris, free from water.
  • Verify Structural steel is grounded / bonded
  • Verify slab thickness. String line in place, is it level and firm
  • Polyethylene Sheeting: 6-mil lapped & taped
  • Verify Port-A-John is on site.
  • Verify Georgia required termite treatment information
  • Verify temp power if on site at this time meets electrical compliance from the NEC 2020 Pole must be securely and firmly installed in the ground Minimum size # 8 grounding conductor to ground rod NEC 250.20(B). Ground clamp suitable for direct burial NEC 250
  • Note any lot drainage problems.
  • Verify finish floor elevation (FFE) if called out by planning
  • Pay special attention for any masonry fireplace and chimney footing requirements (R1001 and R1003.

Hi Patrickjames,
we have T-shaped metal prods that we use. stainless is worth it (for the convenience of not having a rusted and hard to clean rod in the truck).
I found mine at a yard sale and just found it again in my garage. The diameter is 1/4". As you can see it is shorter than a professional probe with a blunt end and is one handed. It didn't come with a user manual so I've just had to wing it.

I did not use the probe unless there was a reason to suspect that the soil had issues. Issues range from suspected fill dirt to over-excavation with a lack of proper compaction. You get a feel for it. I don't have a code section for the feeling that I get and not being an engineer, it's hard to explain but you'll know it when ir happens to you. Right away you're gonna want to stick something in the dirt.

IMG_3739.JPG

Last edited:
Code in Canada allows for a couple of options for us inspectors, a picket test and a thumb pressure test. Both of them intended to take place in the trench wall. Like what has been referenced before, they are largely up to how the inspector preforms the test.

Where we have concerns related to soil, the contractor has to engage an engineer.

It was stated "Every geo-tech uses one, and it is a non-scientific method that only those with substantial experience should use". A geotechnical engineer who has had substantial experience may find this tool useful in deciding whether there is a special concern. In this context the geotechnical engineer is not primarily concerned about code compliance but is more concerned if there will likely be a problem.

My contention is that most if not all inspectors do not have the substantial experience. I would also suggest that most engineers who do not regularly practice as geotechnical engineers do not have the necessary experience to interpret these subjective tests.

On the other hand a building department inspector is concerned whether there is code compliance. This needs to be more objective

My perception is that the building department inspectors feel the need to look at the condition of the soil at the bottom of the footings but find that the code gives them no guidance and as a result have adopted these subjective "tests".