• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

motor contribution

Apurva Dave

I have project its high rise building where the electrical designer provided motor contributions estimates with shirt circuit study for 240V single phase hvac motors. All combined hvac motors of all the units makes difference. Their is also elevator motors 50hp, 30hp at 208V three phase.

The electrical designer used 4x full load amps to estimate the motor contribution fault currents.

I am wondering where it says in any code or standard full load of 4x is okay and conservative approach? I search internet and found the following:
ANSI standard C37.010 offers guidance when calculating motor contribution for a group of LV motors if detailed motor data is not available. Assuming a motor contribution of four times rated full load current is acceptable. The standard arrived at this value by assuming that the motor contribution of 3,6 times rated current came 75% from induction motors and 4,8 times rated current from 25% synchronous motors…..

However I cannot find this in standard C37.010
or is it in any other code or standards?