• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Motor Oil Storage

Car5

Good evening all. This is my first post here and I’m looking for some help. I was recently promoted to Fire Marshal, I only spent 1 year as a Fire Inspector. Prior to that I was on a fire engine for 17 yrs. Our Marshal retired earlier than anticipated so now it’s me trying to figure things out. I have a tremendous amount to learn and I’m hoping for some assistance as I move along in my new career.

I had a business ask if they may store new and used motor oil under a mezzanine. It’s a business that does light repair to fork trucks. Most work is done in the field. It’s a steel mezzanine, non sprinkled. I am using IFC 2015. The used tank is 275 gal., and I’m unsure of new oil, but from what I was looking at it’s under 275. I am unable to find what I am looking for. I have figured out I have a 3B combustible and they have under MAQs. The mezzanine is used once in a while for training of mechanics. Any constructive help would be appreciated.

Per IFC Table 5003.1.1(1), a Class IIIB combustible liquid is allowed to be stored in a quantity not exceeding 13,200 gallons.

Per IFC Table 5003.1.1(1), a Class IIIB combustible liquid is allowed to be stored in a quantity not exceeding 13,200 gallons.
Does it matter the location, such as under a mezzanine?

Sounds like you got the answer and knew the steps to get there!!!

A suggestion make friends of neighboring marshals and inspector, so you also have local resources.

Also buy the commentary for building and fire code.

Good evening all. This is my first post here and I’m looking for some help. I was recently promoted to Fire Marshal, I only spent 1 year as a Fire Inspector. Prior to that I was on a fire engine for 17 yrs. Our Marshal retired earlier than anticipated so now it’s me trying to figure things out. I have a tremendous amount to learn and I’m hoping for some assistance as I move along in my new career.

I had a business ask if they may store new and used motor oil under a mezzanine. It’s a business that does light repair to fork trucks. Most work is done in the field. It’s a steel mezzanine, non sprinkled. I am using IFC 2015. The used tank is 275 gal., and I’m unsure of new oil, but from what I was looking at it’s under 275. I am unable to find what I am looking for. I have figured out I have a 3B combustible and they have under MAQs. The mezzanine is used once in a while for training of mechanics. Any constructive help would be appreciated.

Congratulations on the promotion, the crew is here to assist you in your new duties (smiling).