• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Mounting into brick venner and cmu backup

Jayplexi

I am mounting a small deck balcony about 12 feet wide x 4 feet out into a wall very high up on a building.
The brick venner wall has a 2 inch wall air gap and then a cmu backup wall.
What is the best way to mount my steel plate thru the wall into the backup wall? People have recommended long expansion anchors, epoxy and chemical adhesive with threaded rods, etc
I need a professional's opinion.

Brick veneer is not structural. You'll need to anchor back to the structural wall. I strongly suggest you hire a structural engineer to provide calculations, sizing, and details for connections to supporting construction as well as the floor system used for the balcony.

Brick veneer is not structural. You'll need to anchor back to the structural wall. I strongly suggest you hire a structural engineer to provide calculations, sizing, and details for connections to supporting construction as well as the floor system used for the balcony.
Yes I am anchoring into the backup wall I am trying to find out which type of anchor would be best

The ledger connection would be okay if it was entirely a vertical load from a patio or deck that is supported on the other end. The problem here is that since the word "balcony" was used, I assume this will be a cantilever system; in which case, the ledger connector would not work. Since there is a void behind the veneer, the moment load will push on the veneer surface along the bottom edge of the ledger causing the veneer to fail along that point--something needs to be behind the veneer to resist the turning movement.

"something needs to be behind the veneer to resist the turning movement."

And it can't block the air space to trap water.