• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Multiple Building Classification

Dominic

SAWHORSE
I am currently designing a site with a mixture of apartment buildings; duplex; 4-plex and 12-plex, 65 apartments in total. The owner has elected to install a NFPA 13R system in all the buildings. Can I classify all the buildings including the duplex as R-2 and follow IBC Code, or do i need to follow the residental code for the duplex?

I am currently designing a site with a mixture of apartment buildings; duplex; 4-plex and 12-plex, 65 apartments in total. The owner has elected to install a NFPA 13R system in all the buildings. Can I classify all the buildings including the duplex as R-2 and follow IBC Code, or do i need to follow the residental code for the duplex?

I am taking it some of these are separate stand alone buildings ?? Not one big one?

I am taking it some of these are separate stand alone buildings ?? Not one big one?
There are 12 seperate buildings. The units will be seperated by a fire barrier not a fire wall

Really what I am asking is can I take 2-unit apartment building and classsify it as R-2 under the IBC and follow the IBC codes?

Last edited:
Yes you can
But you don't need to the owner can require a full blown NFPA 13 in a house if that is what the owner wants
Yes, with the population the owner wants to sprinkler it to 13R standards.

And thank you for your response.

Interesting the NYS supplement changed the wording. It is written to say that a duplex needs to meet the IRC. See attached.

Attachments

• Code.pdf
    223.9 KB · Views: 1