• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Natural gas line

go5

Hi all,

I am renovating my fireplace (mantle mostly). It is a natural gas fireplace.

Can I replace the current copper line that comes off of the main line (It is a T that also feeds the outdoor connection) with a flexible line (like the one from my stove). I can't seem to find any information online.

Thanks for any help

The flexible line that you mentioned is most likely an appliance connector. That is not allowed for anything other than connecting an appliance and shall not be concealed by construction. CSST is a possibility and has strict compliance requirements that a typical HO can't handle. I have yet to see a copper pipe conveying natural gas.

Hi all,

I am renovating my fireplace (mantle mostly). It is a natural gas fireplace.

Can I replace the current copper line that comes off of the main line (It is a T that also feeds the outdoor connection) with a flexible line (like the one from my stove). I can't seem to find any information online.

Thanks for any help

What are you connecting the flex to???

Just a pipe inside the fireplace with holes??

What are you connecting the flex to???

Just a pipe inside the fireplace with holes??

to a Tee of the main line. There is a rigid line (I thought was copper) that is currently connected that connects to the fireplace.

From another site,

Would highly suggest ask your city Building dept to see what they require

“”Some flex connector mfrs allow their flex to pass through panels while othes don't. Read the tag. Some including CSST brands require you to protect the flex with a sleeve or grommet where it passes through the box or panel. Also, no plastic covering inside the firebox. Many times you can run CSST all the way right to the valve inlet. ”””

I have yet to see a copper pipe conveying natural gas.
Copper is permitted under the IFGC and IAPMO codes. K, L and ACR types are permitted

403.4.3 Copper and brass.
Copper and brass pipe shall not be used if the gas contains more than an average of 0.3 grains of hydrogen sulfide per 100 standard cubic feet of gas (0.7 milligrams per 100 liters). Threaded copper, brass and aluminum-alloy pipe shall not be used with gases corrosive to such materials.

You have to contact the gas company to know how much hydrogen sulfide may be in their gas.
ICE might be why you have never seen copper used or California made a code change to not allow it

Reactions: ICE
Go5, the link to the connector you provided will not work. As stated by ICE, connectors shall not be concealed by construction.

Due to the reaction of hydrogen sulfide with copper, it is very likely that your gas piping may be corroded - even if the gas contains less than 0.3 grains per 100scf of gas. If you are to tap into the existing system, use CSST. CSST requires specific tools, so most likely worth hiring a licensed contractor.

Something else to keep in mind - if you do the work yourself and you have a leak that results in a fire or explosion, do you think that your insurance will cover any of it? Most likely, not a dime since you were not licensed for the work.

Go5, the link to the connector you provided will not work. As stated by ICE, connectors shall not be concealed by construction.

Due to the reaction of hydrogen sulfide with copper, it is very likely that your gas piping may be corroded - even if the gas contains less than 0.3 grains per 100scf of gas. If you are to tap into the existing system, use CSST. CSST requires specific tools, so most likely worth hiring a licensed contractor.

Something else to keep in mind - if you do the work yourself and you have a leak that results in a fire or explosion, do you think that your insurance will cover any of it? Most likely, not a dime since you were not licensed for the work.

Thanks for the reply. I understand al your points and they are well advised. I also like to learn at the same time. The current line from the "T" that is the main line is in fact copper (I just removed it). That line has been there since the build (I have not altered it or removed the fireplace until now). I am in Canada so perhaps copper is ok for this application or in our area?

Thanks for the reply. I understand al your points and they are well advised. I also like to learn at the same time. The current line from the "T" that is the main line is in fact copper (I just removed it). That line has been there since the build (I have not altered it or removed the fireplace until now). I am in Canada so perhaps copper is ok for this application or in our area?

Just do an anyomous call/ question to your Building dept

Or if you have a plumber friend you can trust with the question

In Canada, the natural gay purveyor generally does the inspections. Installation is to CSA B149. There are usually provincial inspectors, but where the purveyor inspects all installations, the province will typically only do spot checks to ensure the integrity of the inspectors.

So, call your natural gas company and see what they say. As an FYI, just because the hardware store sells it, doesn't mean it meets code. I'm guessing you know this since you are asking, but always worth repeating.