• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Need Demolition Permit Guidelines

Inspector 102

Silver Member
My jurisdiction has requested that I develope guidelines for demolition of structures. Currently the ordinances are vague and have no time limit other than permit renewal every year. Does anyone have an ordinance that might address time limits and possibly requiring a bond for demo of larger than 720 SF. What about street closure requirements, safety barriers, utility termination. Basically starting from stratch, so any help appreciated.

I'm guessing that the I-Code provisions in Chapter 1 don't quite cover it for you?

General Code Publishers does a LOT of municipal codes around the country. Their website has a feature that allows you to view samples from jurisdictions of varying sizes and demographics ( http://www.generalcode.com/webcode2.html ) . If the jurisdiction has a 'codified' set of regulations (as opposed to a fistful of random local laws), whoever publishes the municipal code may be able to provide sample ordinances/laws as well.