• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

New certifications

Sifu

SAWHORSE
I just took a look at my ICC certs and discovered I have been given 5 additional certifications. Some of my co-workers also received additional certifications. I didn't see any explanation for this on their website, nor mention of it on a quick perusal of their forum. Anybody know what is going on?

I'll bet it is the combination certs? I brought this issue to the board awhile ago. So lets say you passed all the inspectors exams for the IRC. Then you get your combination inspectors certification and then there is another cert you have to maintain and it also could increase your required CEU'S. This did not make any sense to me at all??? I was asking where is the value??? Hell, I'll just let my individual certifications expire and keep or maintain my combination cert? Again it did not make any sense to me. So ICC staff was directed to address the issue. While it's not a perfect system it is definitely better with the change(s) that were recently made. Sifu, I got it and you are correct in making the point that there was no explanation when you received the additional certifications. That should have been provided and hopefully we will do a better job of that in the future. Hope this helps.

Post script: Hey folks, if you happen to see anything on the forum that I should take a look at please feel free to let me know.I would greatly appreciate it! I sure as hell don't have all the answers but will do my best to answer and questions or address any issue. Thanks! :) :) :)

Post script: Hey folks, if you happen to see anything on the forum that I should take a look at please feel free to let me know.I would greatly appreciate it! I sure as hell don't have all the answers but will do my best to answer and questions or address any issue. Thanks! :) :) :)

Which came first,,,

The chicken or the egg??

Thanks JP. I am puzzled by the whole thing, but not sure it matters. I think after you hit certain thresholds they don't require any additional CEU's or renewal fees, so there is no negative impact. The nice lady at ICC was supposed to send me the updated list that would show me what cert's contribute to what combo, but I haven't received it yet.

My pleasure. This came up where I work with our economy being in the crapper and with all the budget cuts we have had. It directly affected our field inspectors and counting the combo cert it changed their required CEU'S that they had to have. So theirs went from requiring 4.5 to 6 which of course directly affects our training budget. Of course our training budget was cut down dramatically with the downturn.