• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

New FIOS riser at the fire exit stairwell at the residential high-rise building

Marcin

Hi All
I would like to know anybody knows if there are any contradictions to install a riser inside the fire exit stairwell to run FIOS wiring? Riser (steel pipe) would be penetrating landings at each floor (12th floors). From that riser, separate lines would be branched off into the hallways on every floor. Riser and all the penetrations would be fire-rated.
I know that IBC 1023.5 restricts some penetration and equipment at the stairwells but would this case fall under that code? Are there any other codes that would restrict such installation?

Thank you for any information

Best regards

Welcome

Sorry answer to your very first question

NO not allowed

Per the section you cited

Talk to ahj see if it is in a two hour chase,,, if they would allow it

Welcome

Sorry answer to your very first question

NO not allowed

Per the section you cited

Talk to ahj see if it is in a two hour chase,,, if they would allow it
cda:
Thank you so much for such a quick reply.

That's what I have suspected. It's an old building and looks like some other equipment (Time Warner) was previously installed thus I was a bit confused. Most likely it wasn't a very legal installation :D

Who/what is ahj?

best regards

Authority Having Jurisdiction...i.e. the local building department.

I agree with CDA, not permitted per IBC Section 1023.5.

cda:
Thank you so much for such a quick reply.

That's what I have suspected. It's an old building and looks like some other equipment (Time Warner) was previously installed thus I was a bit confused. Most likely it wasn't a very legal installation :D

Who/what is ahj?

best regards

The Enforcer!!!