• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

New Forum Ideas

jar546

Forum Coordinator
Please use this to give ideas for how this board is to be set up and moderated. If it is not private (which it is not now) then there needs to be a level of moderation. If it is private then that may be another story. Right now the public can see this but not post. We can have areas that are not public and some that are or make them all private or public. It is your choice.

I personally always like an area that is private for things to be discussed that should not be seen by permit holders or the general public. There is no way to validate who everyone is here but this is a start.

Please submit ideas on forum names, areas, public vs private areas, etc.

Re: New Forum Ideas

Looks like the topics are just about finished. I hope that we have something for everyone. Please provide some feedback and help be part of this. Also, will probably be looking for moderators to make sure we don't get too out of control.

Jeff,

First, thank you for taking the time to put together this web forum. For the little time you had you've done a really nice job.

As the forum grows, I'll be happy to assist you as the moderator for the Fire code forum.

Nicely done. I'll be tipping a Jack and Water towards PA this evening in honor of your efforts. Of course I always tip a Jack and Water everynight and my couch is pointed towards PA so it shouldn't be too hard to toast you.... :mrgreen:

Hazmatpoobah

When I came to this new forum that "the most blessed Jeff, may he always prosper" so graciously invited us to join; I just saw what the ICC BB must have looked like when it first started; some blank, empty columns.

This evening I see some of those empty spaces being filled; just like the "old forum". I am discovering that it's not the organization that makes the forum work; but, the hearts, minds, and desire of the individual members; who are not just willing, but, more than eager, to share their knowledge, experience, ideas, passions, and yes, their failures, hopes, and dreams; with others. No reward, no acalades, not for profit or power; just the desire to share.

That's what made the ICC BB a success; and that is what will make this new forum a website to be known as "the place to go to"; for countless Architects, Engineers, Building Officials, Inspectors, Fire Marshalls, Fire Inspectors, Plans Examiners, Builders, Contractors, Building Supervisors, and anyone interested or with questions about Building Safety and Costruction.

It's not about the site; it's about the hearts and minds of the members.

Thanks Jeff,

Uncle Bob

Code Neophyte said:
Hate to see you drink alone, Hazmatpoobah.
Boudreaux my grey tabby cat is curled up a couple of feet away and she's a great listener - plus, she never talk's back.

Uncle Bob,

Your response was elegant. It really is about all of the code users and we all learn from one another.

Ditto to Haz, great reply UB, I'm excited about this new board. Again, thanks Jeff, As others have offered, I'd be happy to act as a Mod, if you need it.

Jeff,

There might be some advantages of private; and seperate; public areas here.

Private: A lot of times we let our passions and opinions loose, when debating the pros and cons of a subject that is important to us; and I think this is a good thing; that makes us unique, and provides an atmosphere that allows people to freely share and debate their side. Our freedoms are being regulated to death; and we have been blessed with an area that we could debate without fear of censure. Of course expitives and personal attacks should be minimalized; but, we have always been able to keep each other in line with peer preasure.

Public: On the other hand an Open Forum area would also be great; where we can share our code expertise, experience, and knowledge with each other and the public. Here we could ask and answer code questions; assist each other and the public, with our experience, and area of expertise. This area should be "monitored"; with the monitors being able to delete any posts that are deemed offensive, and direct us to the "private area"; or submit our behavior to a committee for review, censure, etc..

To make this work; we do need a group of "objective" members to make final decisions conserning advertising on the site, removal of offending members from the public forum, and keep us on a sound progressive path.

This forum; that Jeff has so graciously allowed us to use; is a great starting place for us to continue to share with each other; and grow as a group.

Uncle Bob

Uncle Bob said:
When I came to this new forum that "the most blessed Jeff, may he always prosper" so graciously invited us to join; I just saw what the ICC BB must have looked like when it first started; some blank, empty columns.This evening I see some of those empty spaces being filled; just like the "old forum". I am discovering that it's not the organization that makes the forum work; but, the hearts, minds, and desire of the individual members; who are not just willing, but, more than eager, to share their knowledge, experience, ideas, passions, and yes, their failures, hopes, and dreams; with others. No reward, no acalades, not for profit or power; just the desire to share.

That's what made the ICC BB a success; and that is what will make this new forum a website to be known as "the place to go to"; for countless Architects, Engineers, Building Officials, Inspectors, Fire Marshalls, Fire Inspectors, Plans Examiners, Builders, Contractors, Building Supervisors, and anyone interested or with questions about Building Safety and Costruction.

It's not about the site; it's about the hearts and minds of the members.

Thanks Jeff,

Uncle Bob
This post should be required reading for all new members. Well said UB!

U B - Eloquent, insightful, and touching.

I second the motion to make it 'required reading'.

Maybe Jeff could add it as a 'mission statement' for this new forum?

Jeff - I would voluteer to moderate, but you've seen my posts on the old board... Not sure you'd WANT me to moderate... :D

I do feel that PMing is a great way to maintain privacy, so I'm not sure a private area would be necessary. Many of the 'regulars' use pseudonyms anyway, and guys like me (real name, real location) simply have no shame about our opinions. If I wanted more privacy, I'd just register a with a second 'name' that occludes who/where I really am.

First I would like to thank Jeff; for his coming to our aid when we needed this website most. If he had not been here, and been prepared; we would be scattered to the four winds; perhaps to have lost contact with each other forever.

I have spoken to Jeff and a few others about the future of our new home. I believe we are in agreement that "as is" the site is vulnerable to being lost in the future. The burden of maintaining the site; and being responsibe for providing for it's growth is too much to ask of one person.

I don't see how we could go back to the ICC website and trust them to maintain the integrety of the Bulletin Board, after what they have done; even if they restored the old board to it's former glory.

Therefore; I propose the following:

1. That we form a non-profit Association to maintain this new home of ours; to insure it's growth and survival.

2. That we appoint; from within our group; a Board to organize the Association. This Board would consist of permenant members; that would only be replaced by their decision to give up their seat; in order to maintain the integrety of our founding principles; that lead us here.

3. That we charge this Board with the responsibility of forming the Association; securing the legal status of a non-profit organization, and meeting the legal responsibilties to the IRS and any other State and/or Federal Athorities having jurisdiction.

4. That Jeff be honored as our Founder.

I believe that without doing something to insure our future; we will outgrow the ability of this site to sustain us.

As for me; I am absoulutely worthless; at any of the above. I see my place as the old man with the stick; prodding and poking; until the better qualified succeed.

Such an organization is not out of the question and not beyond our capabilities. We have among our members; several outstanding leaders; who have proven themselves in their chosen profession; and who have the knowledge and experience to guarantee our success.

This is not the time to stand still or fall back; but, to go forward and provide a place where sincere professionals from across this country and from all professions can come together and share our ideas, expertise, experience, and knowledge to make a difference; and overcoming our differences.

Therefore, I pledge $1000.00 to the Association on the day of it's founding. To insure that I am serious; on the day that the Board, that will be charged with the responsibility of forming the Association; is selected and confirmed; I will send the money to Peach; who I believe many of you know and trust; to either present it to the Association or if the Association does not come to fruition; return it to me.

Uncle Bob

As for me; I am absoulutely worthless; at any of the above. I see my place as the old man with the stick; prodding and poking; until the better qualified succeed.
More like an electric cattle prod/Tazer thingy...

UB, sounds like a 3rd political party...

We can break up Commercial into Commercial - Structural & Commercial Non-Structural

I think Accessibility & Existing Buildings can sit into a category of its own: Call it, "Accessibility & Existing Buildings code provisions" as these may apply to both Residential and Commercial.

I think UB is onto something. If we are ever going to support 1500 registered users (like the old place), I think this may be a strech for this board. (assumptions being made here).

I would hate to see anything (legally) happen to Jeff if ICC for somereasons feels that they have more money and time to invest in pursuing any legal action against Jeff.

A LLC - Non-profit association would be a good thing because the only fincial stuff anybody could go after may be a checkbook with a couple of grand.

Just food for thought, while not as rich as UB, I would be willing to kick in a few bucks here and there to help support this forum.

Just one request however, To truley be non-profit, I feel that the leadership of this LLC should not be paid except for a small yearly stiphen to cover any phone calls, mailings, etc.

I lived in an area where a non-profit hospital paid the CEO almost 1 million dollars a year. They rebuilt this area (of the second floor) four times in one year to get rid of any extra cash so they could maintain their non-profit status. :x

RickAstoria said:
We can break up Commercial into Commercial - Structural & Commercial Non-StructuralI think Accessibility & Existing Buildings can sit into a category of its own: Call it, "Accessibility & Existing Buildings code provisions" as these may apply to both Residential and Commercial.
Anyone else?

I did not want to make the page too long but would like feedback from everyone on this. I made some changes last night to the format. Thoughts?

I haven't really researched the maximum size of a picture or even if there is a maximum size. Pictures need to be as an attachment. A small thumbnail of the picture that a person can click on and open seperately from the post.

Pictures will eat up space big time! Plus if several users are clicking on the same post with pictures, bandwidth will jump!

Just a thought!

The picture thing is a concern although we are not hosting the location of the photo, just linking to it. I tried to set up thumbnails for the pics but it did not work. Still trying to figure it out.

Why not just have categories that correspond to the codes themselves, then subfolders after that:

• Building Code
  • Structural
    [/*:m:eek:tttpial]
  • Means of egress
  • Fire resistance[/*:m:eek:tttpial]
  • Mechanical Code
  • Ventilation
  • Commercial Kitchen Exhaust
  • Ducts[/*:m:eek:tttpial]
This way, the main board index is not too long.

I did that but when you list a category, the topics are visible and not in drop down form. If you have a forum then sub-forums then you can post in the forum itself and you have posts outside of the sub-folders. This is the problem that I had to fix. I will figure something out.

jar546 said:
I did that but when you list a category, the topics are visible and not in drop down form. If you have a forum then sub-forums then you can post in the forum itself and you have posts outside of the sub-folders. This is the problem that I had to fix. I will figure something out.
Category

If you want to combine multiple forums or links for a specific topic, you can put them inside a category. The forums will appear below the category title, clearly separated from other categories. Users are not able to post inside categories.

In other words, Building Code would be a category (no posting), where forums would be listed (parent), then the individual topics under the forum (child).

Or, Codes could be a category (no posting), where forums would be the code type (parent) and subforums would be the individual topics (child).

If we are going to attract folks; especially professionals; to our new website; it might be a good idea to tidy up a bit; so they will see that this is a pleasant and informative place to join. Founded on a desire to have a place to share knowledge and ideas.

Having had my rant about the past; I am deleting all my negative posts that refer to it. I hope you will join me in going forward and letting go of the disapointment.

Help please; I don't know how to delete posts here. :oops:

Uncle Bob

UB, you will have to edit your posts until I figure out how to allow people to delete their posts.

Initial setup I chose not to allow deletion of posts thinking that people would think before they typed. Now I can't figure out how to get back to that part.

Edit in the mean time.

Jeff,

Think first? You know us better than that.

Will do, Thanks,

Uncle Bob