• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

New homeowner claims foundation issues with a house in my Jurisdiction

CBOGUY

A homeowner 3years ago purchased a flip home from an owner, What are the options for the new buyer?
What are the options for the building dept in this care to help the new owner.

A homeowner 3years ago purchased a flip home from an owner, What are the options for the new buyer?
What are the options for the building dept in this care to help the new owner.

How old is the home? Was a CO issued when it was built? Did the new buyer hire a home inspector? Were any obvious or known defects disclosed by the seller or seller's agent? Lots of questions.

Yeah, going to need more information to answer the question.

Ultimately though, from the jurisdiction's standpoint, the responsibility for any violations the jurisdiction is aware of rest on the current owner.

If you come to me with a complaint about a violation on the house you just bought, and I see the violation now, I'm going to make YOU fix it - not the guy who sold it to you.

The new buyer could request documents of any inspections or plans if that AHJ keeps house plans, building code does not require the plans to be saved indefinitely unless the laws of the jurisdiction requires it. I often wonder if I should be keeping the inspection reports and plans when there is no requirement, I think my good record keeping could pull me into court cases in the future.

I was told several times, "There is one guarantee, concrete will crack!". I think its pretty much true, we have to try to minimize it.

These issues are usually going to be civil between the contractor and the owners most likely. The Inspector or Building Official that did the inspections may be subpoenaed to testify in a court case. This should be the only involvement from the AHJ until there is a permit requested for a repair. We can only enforce code and visually verify the plans and construction docs.

My 2 cents … the inspector who approved the original construction is probably the last person who could have seen a problem. Once the house is built … how could an inspector see the fault? Unless a big chunk of the foundation has fallen off. And why would a city building inspector be involved in a resale? Sounds like caveat emptor, and 3 years is a little late, unless it was documented immediately.

How old is the home? Was a CO issued when it was built? Did the new buyer hire a home inspector? Were any obvious or known defects disclosed by the seller or seller's agent? Lots of questions.
The home is two years old, the flipper did not get a permit for remolding. The new buyer just got a home inspection that revealed issues with the foundation and the they are going to civil court for damages. How does buy beware aware apply in this situation?

A homeowner 2 years ago purchased a non permitted flip home from a Flipper and now has issues with his foundation. What are the options for the new buyer?
What are the options for the building dept in regards to permitting the home for the new owner?
The home is two years old, the flipper did not get a permit for remolding. The new buyer just got a home inspection that revealed issues with the foundation and the they are going to civil court for damages. How does buy beware aware apply in this situation?

the flipper did not get a permit for remolding…. The new buyer just got a home inspection. … How does buy beware aware apply in this situation?
1. Should have had the house inspected before buying. 2. Knowing it was a flip, should have asked for proof of permits.

The home is two years old, the flipper did not get a permit for remolding.

Not getting permits is like going over the speed limit, people do it all the time and get away with it.

My late real-estate man always told me home inspectors are called "deal killers", guess he was right. If the home inspection was performed prior to the sale and the deficiencies were noted, I would think that the buyer could have walked from the contract! I would check with a real-estate attorney to see what options are available.

Not getting permits is like going over the speed limit, people do it all the time and get away with it.

My late real-estate man always told me home inspectors are called "deal killers", guess he was right. If the home inspection was performed prior to the sale and the deficiencies were noted, I would think that the buyer could have walked from the contract! I would check with a real-estate attorney to see what options are available.
Ever heard of "Due Dilligence" and buyer beware? What of realtor ethics?