• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

New invention - looking for advice.

mikevanhorn

I invented a make-up air vent called the FresherVent. I was hoping I could get marketing advice from users in this forum.
I designed it because I couldn't find a solution to a sewer gas smell that I was having when I ran my dryer, and this solved it.
I didn't post a weblink because I don't know the rules of this forum.

Clothes dryer???

Are you talking maybe dampness air??
Yep, clothes dryer exhaust. It was creating enough pressure drop to draw sewer gas through drain traps. Plumbers / HVAC guys that I asked didn't believe it was possible, and it shouldn't be, but it happened. This vent solved the problem, and a few others.

I think "make-up" air intake is one of the most overlooked things in code. As energy codes require houses to be tighter and tighter issues like you describe pop up more and more. Sewer gas is bad, flue gas is even worse. In CA the mechanical code has several sections that require make-up air. Code is available for online viewing at https://www.dgs.ca.gov/BSC/Codes. See in 2019 CA Mechanical code sections 407.3 (OSHPD), 504.4.1, 505.10, 511.3, 517.1.3 and 519.6. Code compliance is a great way to market a product, just make sure it's properly listed. Also, FYI PVC (and ABS) plastic needs to be protected from UV exposure, typically by latex based paint.

You do know there are similar products on the market? and been there for awhile.

You do know there are similar products on the market? and been there for awhile.
The Freshervent opens when indoor pressure drops below outdoor pressure. No electricity required. I have not seen any other vent that works this way.

Is it patentable? could you buy it at Home Depot if produced?
I have a patent pending. My local Home Depot will stock it, but I need to create a demand to generate sales. I can't sell an ice cube to an Egyptian, which is why I am asking for suggestions.

Thanks for these! That is a big help for market research.
I tried one similar to these, with a mechanical opener, but it did not flow enough to solve the sewer smell that I had. The spec charts on these flow less than 25 cfm at .06 W.G, and I needed to keep up to a 200 CFM clothes dryer for an hour and keep the pressure much lower than that. I did quite a bit of testing to figure out the inlet flow requirement, and the Freshervent will keep up to 500 CFM exhaust.

Thanks for these! That is a big help for market research.
I tried one similar to these, with a mechanical opener, but it did not flow enough to solve the sewer smell that I had. The spec charts on these flow less than 25 cfm at .06 W.G, and I needed to keep up to a 200 CFM clothes dryer for an hour and keep the pressure much lower than that. I did quite a bit of testing to figure out the inlet flow requirement, and the Freshervent will keep up to 500 CFM exhaust.
I meant to say, "keep the pressure difference much less than .06 W.G."