• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

P

pnorthrup

Good Morning All; New to this site, My name is Paul Northrup, Electrical Inspector/Electrical Plans Examiner, for the City of Plant City Florida

Welcome Paul,

This is a great site for discussion. Rumor has it that Mike Holt reads this Forum for answers.

(I just started that rumor)

Welcome Paul,

Looks like you will be a knowledgable contributor. Glad to have you on board!

Welcome aboard Paul.......please contribute often, and spread the word about the site to your colleagues.

Oh great, another electrical professional to compete with!!! Just Kidding Paul. It will be nice having you here.... too...

Hey TJacobs, How's things in the cold frozen North, I worked up there in 79,(LaSalle County Nuke Station

pnorthrup said:
Good Morning All; New to this site, My name is Paul Northrup, Electrical Inspector/Electrical Plans Examiner, for the City of Plant City Florida
Hmmm, interesting avatar Paul, Portland General Electric use to have a similar fellow that they used for years and years - but then again, I'm old.

fatboy said:
We also had it locally, they called him Ready Kilowatt.
Ditto................................added periods and this so the post wouldn't be too short!

Grew up in northest Portland. That electrical logo guy always scared me. Kinda like a "Coulrophobia" (fear of clowns).

From Wikipedia:

Reddy Kilowatt is drawn as a stick figure whose body and limbs are made of "lightning-bolt" symbols and whose bulbous head has a light bulb for a nose and wall outlets for ears.[1] Reddy was created at the Alabama Power Company by Ashton B. Collins, Sr., and debuted March 11, 1926. He was subsequently licensed by some 300 electrical companies in the U.S. and abroad looking to sell homes on using the relatively new technology. He was featured in a 1947 comic book and movie produced by the studio of Walter Lantz.[2] Reddy Kilowatt was a frequent presence in publicity material until energy conservation replaced energy production as a national goal with the growth of the environmental movement and the OPEC oil embargo. He is now rarely seen. In 1998, Reddy was bought by Northern States Power Company, which created an entire subsidiary, Reddy Kilowatt Corp., to manage the cartoon.[3] That company later created Reddy Flame, a character promoting natural gas.

While Reddy Kilowatt was created as a mascot for investor-owned utilities, a similar character — Willie Wiredhand — was created about the same time for use by rural electric cooperatives and public utility districts (evidently, much to Collins' annoyance). Willie was also a stick figure, but with a lamp socket for a head, an electric plug for legs and feet, and wore gloves similar to those worn by farmers. Reddy's keeper of the time took Willie's owner, National Rural Electric Cooperative Association, to court in 1957 over trademark infringement and lost[4] because the court found the two characters distinctly different