• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

New roof over row homes

tbz

Silver Member
PA IRC : Here is my question looking to change out a roof on a 100 year old row home. 3 town homes in a row, middle unit.

Looking at replacing the roof and the units on the left and right basically are newer than the existing on the middle, but,

Was thinking of just re-roofing all three units at one time, basically providing the other unit owners with a free roof to avoid the seams and problems I might create.

But is there anything that says the roofing needs fire separation, or is sheathing all 3 units as one roof ok?

Not my area of the code. Strictly M.O.E.

Thanks in advance

PA IRC : Here is my question looking to change out a roof on a 100 year old row home. 3 town homes in a row, middle unit.

Looking at replacing the roof and the units on the left and right basically are newer than the existing on the middle, but,

Was thinking of just re-roofing all three units at one time, basically providing the other unit owners with a free roof to avoid the seams and problems I might create.

But is there anything that says the roofing needs fire separation, or is sheathing all 3 units as one roof ok?

Not my area of the code. Strictly M.O.E.

Thanks in advance

What does the 1921 building code require for separation???

Keep what is in place,, any walls sticking up above the roof line??? Sounds like the answer is no.

Do you know what the walls separating the units are made out of????? Brick maybe???

Maybe minimum ask for four feet on each side of each unit dividing wall to be, fire retardant decking???

IF there is a firewall between them and you are resheathing, you may want to look at FRTW for 4' on either side.....

R302.2.2 Parapets for townhouses.
Exception: A parapet is not required in the preceding
two cases where the roof covering complies
with a minimum Class C rating as tested in accordance
with ASTM E 108 or UL 790 and the roof
decking or sheathing is of noncombustible materials
or approved fire-retardant-treated wood for a
distance of 4 feet (1219 mm) on each side of the
wall or walls, or one layer of 5/8-inch (15.9 mm)
Type X gypsum board is installed directly beneath

Ok, (3) 12ft wide row homes built 100 years ago.

No brick, not sure what is on the other side of the walls, but plaster and lathe on the interior on the unit I am looking at. So if I pull down, it would be replaced with double 5/8 at a minimum. besides so sort of sound proofing. Not really worried about the inside.

The roof and siding need to be replaced. The roof is just one straight flat line across, no separation.

Currently There are (3) different colored shingles over each unit, which looks like ridge capping down the wall line below.

Steve, that is what I was looking at, if I have to re-sheath each side of the (so called property line) for 4ft on each side.

I am going to end up pulling back at least 5ft of shingles if not more on each of their roofs, thus, probably best redoing all 3 correctly.

Just wanted to reaffirm that I was thinking correctly as to what needed to be done.

Thanks

2015 IEBC Chapter 6 Repairs

602.2 New and replacement materials. Except as otherwise
required or permitted by this code, materials permitted by the
applicable code for new construction shall be used. Like
materials shall be permitted for repairs and alterations, provided
no dangerous or unsafe condition, as defined in Chapter
2, is created. Hazardous materials, such as asbestos and
lead-based paint, shall not be used where the code for new
construction would not permit their use in buildings of similar
occupancy, purpose and location.

If you need to replace some plywood:

[BS] 606.2 Repairs to damaged buildings. Repairs to damaged
buildings shall comply with this section.
[BS] 606.2.1 Repairs for less than substantial structural
damage. For damage less than substantial structural
damage, the damaged elements shall be permitted to
be restored to their predamage condition.