• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

New to plan check - any tips?

JoeZ

I'll be starting a new position as a Plans Examiner in a few weeks and am looking for any insights or suggested subject matter to review. Any code sections to drill down on? Tools to familiarize myself with? General advice or thoughts on what I should be doing to start off on solid footing? Thanks in advance!

I'll be starting a new position as a Plans Examiner in a few weeks and am looking for any insights or suggested subject matter to review. Any code sections to drill down on? Tools to familiarize myself with? General advice or thoughts on what I should be doing to start off on solid footing? Thanks in advance!
Residential or Commercial?

Any code sections to drill down on?
Ya there's a few. One that comes to mind is clay sewer pipe buried under a building. That is not allowed per the CPC. Plan checkers ... few contractors, and sad to say, many inspectors don't know that. When you see an addition that is in the front yard .... in the back yard if there is an alley ... or any time it abuts a kitchen, there needs to be a big note telling everyone that the sewer shall be located....and if it is clay pipe it shall be replaced with an approved pipe. That requires a permit and inspection.

Many dozens of times I was called out for a footing inspection and ruined their week. The question that was always asked is, "Why did you wait until now to tell us?" I tried to get LA County to add this to the Plan Checklist... but apparently that's not how the game is played.

But hey now....I have retired so you can disregard what I wrote. Besides that, the odds are slim that you would have ever plan checked a project that I would inspect. And I think I understand why the County ignored me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Plan checklist. Shirley the AHJ will provide you with a checklist. As you mature, you should add to the list.
Seriously, is that a real thing? I was never provided a list. Made my own.

Read your village/city zoning ordinance.

Residential - wall bracing for sure.

Commercial - egress and accessibility, heights and areas, construction type.

Your job is to think ahead and predict problems before they arise - a lofty goal, but some people get to be really good at it.

I used the above when I moved west and went from the SBCCI to the UBC and then we jumped to the ICC codes 2 years later It was very helpful but also really not needed on small "M" or "B" single story buildings. Since you are in CA you should get real familiar with the wall bracing requirements in the code for your seismic area
The link below is free and you can use it to verify compliance

I used the above when I moved west and went from the SBCCI to the UBC and then we jumped to the ICC codes 2 years later It was very helpful but also really not needed on small "M" or "B" single story buildings. Since you are in CA you should get real familiar with the wall bracing requirements in the code for your seismic area
This software generates a checklist?

Wall bracing is quickly becoming one of my top priorities for the weekend.

I have seen this before, but never met anyone who has used it. I always wonder how my plan review would stack up and whether it would be a useful tool.

% % = % %

I recommend that you begin reading all of the California
Codes and other relevant, required documents........A large
undertaking I know, but you will need to go to particular
Codes & sections regularly to verify your review process.

% % = % %

North star hits it. If you are new you will encounter things you never imagined at an increased rate. When that happens to me, I read, read some more, key-word search, read some more, google it, and ask questions from anyone willing to listen. I search for additional information on the topic from anywhere including other codes, standards, white papers, commentaries, etc., though maybe not code, it can point you in directions for further research. THIS FORUM HAS BEEN MY ADVISOR FOR MANY YEARS!

Another tip: keep track of your reviews. I keep copies of everything, with my own notes, and place special ones in a special folder so I can revisit them. I reference back to my own work and research all the time. Sometimes I can validate my previous beliefs, and sometimes I find errors based on new information or knowledge.

Finally, suspend your preconceived notions, do not fall victim to confirmation bias. Approach everything with an open mind. Many times I ask a question thinking I will get a certain answer, only to find my thought was incomplete or incorrect.

Consider supporting the forum by becoming a sawhorse. It will be some of the best money you ever spent on continuing education.

North star hits it. If you are new you will encounter things you never imagined at an increased rate. When that happens to me, I read, read some more, key-word search, read some more, google it, and ask questions from anyone willing to listen. I search for additional information on the topic from anywhere including other codes, standards, white papers, commentaries, etc., though maybe not code, it can point you in directions for further research. THIS FORUM HAS BEEN MY ADVISOR FOR MANY YEARS!

Another tip: keep track of your reviews. I keep copies of everything, with my own notes, and place special ones in a special folder so I can revisit them. I reference back to my own work and research all the time. Sometimes I can validate my previous beliefs, and sometimes I find errors based on new information or knowledge.

Finally, suspend your preconceived notions, do not fall victim to confirmation bias. Approach everything with an open mind. Many times I ask a question thinking I will get a certain answer, only to find my thought was incomplete or incorrect.

Consider supporting the forum by becoming a sawhorse. It will be some of the best money you ever spent on continuing education.
Thank you. These tips are invaluable. Upgraded to sawhorse.

A frequent problem is safety glazing. There might not be a window schedule and if there is, the schedule might not call out safety glazing. Contractors miss the notes on the schedule. It would help to have a warning on the floor plan at each location where safety glazing is required. Pay attention to high fire zones as well.... When an inspector informs the contractor that all of the windows are wrong it gets contentious.

And speaking of inspectors, get to know the ones that you work with and encourage them to bring you your mistakes.

Last edited:
And speaking of inspectors, get to know the ones that you work with and encourage them to bring you your mistakes.
Also ask them what are the common corrections they continually have to address in the field. And add notes to the plans that will help everybody to know what is required. As Ice mentioned it might be on the plans in a schedule or table but not easily apparent because of its location within the pages.

Will you be doing paper or electronic plan reviews?

Also ask them what are the common corrections they continually have to address in the field. And add notes to the plans that will help everybody to know what is required. As Ice mentioned it might be on the plans in a schedule or table but not easily apparent because of its location within the pages.

Will you be doing paper or electronic plan reviews?
Electronic. I downloaded the free trial of Bluebeam so I could familiarize myself with it.

Any thoughts there?