• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

NFPA 1901 question, truck pump disengaging when touching brake petal

rth

Bronze Member
Adopted code - IFC 2012 per county of residence

Mini pumper with 1500gpm pump that interfaces through the cruise control and will disengage pump at any time the brake or accelerator are bumped.

Is this covered in NFPA 1901?

This is being used in an industrial application.

Thank you

What do you mean industrial

Like driven to a fire at say a chemical plant?!!

You do know there are very few fireman on here

Does not sound good

Would go back to maker or service company to fix

The truck is on site at a manufacturing plant. We are trying to make them fix it, they say that is how it is designed. The scope of work for the truck included that it be NFPA 1901 compliant. Is there a section of fire code or NFPA standard that addresses the pump disengaging so easily?

The truck is on site at a manufacturing plant. We are trying to make them fix it, they say that is how it is designed. The scope of work for the truck included that it be NFPA 1901 compliant. Is there a section of fire code or NFPA standard that addresses the pump disengaging so easily?

Will look

But if me I would call the maker and ask the question also

We have and they have tried to fix this without a finding a work around. I would like to make them buy it back but outside of proving they sold us a truck that was not compliant with NFPA/Code standards I might not be able to.

We have and they have tried to fix this without a finding a work around. I would like to make them buy it back but outside of proving they sold us a truck that was not compliant with NFPA/Code standards I might not be able to.

Well don't think you need cruise control??? Disable it

This is all I found,,, And NFPA is not my second language,:::

16.10 * Pump Controls.

16.10.1 General Provisions.

Provisions shall be made for placing the pump drive system in operation using controls and switches that are identified and within convenient reach of the operator.

Where the pump is driven by the chassis engine and engine compression brakes or engine exhaust brakes are furnished, these engine brakes shall be automatically disengaged for pumping operations.

16.10.1.2 *

A.16.10.1.2

Pumps are operated from the side, top, front, or rear of the vehicle, and stationary pumping requires that no power is applied to the wheels during pumping. Therefore, it is essential that any controls that could apply power to the wheels while pumping be equipped with a means to prevent dislocation of the control from its set position in the pumping mode.

Where the pump is driven by the chassis engine and automatic transmission through a split shaft PTO, an interlock system shall be provided to prevent the pump drive system from being shifted out of the “pump engaged” pumping mode of operation when the chassis transmission is in pump gear.

Where the power train from engine to pump includes auxiliary braking devices, they shall be automatically disengaged for pumping operations.

Do you know any other facility that has a similar truck, to see if theirs does the same thing??

You might give this group a call, and see if they can help you:::

Have no knowledge about this group, but worth a try:::

Thank you for the help guys. I do not have access to a copy of NFPA 1901. I have been relying on the neighboring FD that I retired from for code research support and enjoy going back and visiting when I pillage their Fire Marshal's books. They do not have online access any more and I will be getting my own now.

Based on 1901 chapter 16 section 10.1.4 it sounds like this truck is not NFPA compliant. I would guess a required "interlock system" would keep the truck from disengaging the pump anytime someone touched the brakes.

NFPA 1901 compliance was in the scope of work for this truck and this section regarding the interlock was listed on their spec sheet for the truck.

The big question now is does the truck not meet this requirement based on automatically disengaging the pump any time the brake is activated?

Thank you for the help guys. I do not have access to a copy of NFPA 1901. I have been relying on the neighboring FD that I retired from for code research support and enjoy going back and visiting when I pillage their Fire Marshal's books. They do not have online access any more and I will be getting my own now.

Based on 1901 chapter 16 section 10.1.4 it sounds like this truck is not NFPA compliant. I would guess a required "interlock system" would keep the truck from disengaging the pump anytime someone touched the brakes.

NFPA 1901 compliance was in the scope of work for this truck and this section regarding the interlock was listed on their spec sheet for the truck.

The big question now is does the truck not meet this requirement based on automatically disengaging the pump any time the brake is activated?

Access is free

1. Not easy to move thru a document

2. cannot copy and paste

I got the free access to work and screenshot what I needed. I tried copy and pasting it with no luck.

Thank you for all the help, now I will work toward finding a solid interpretation on how this applies in this situation.