• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

No continuous insulation on a residential building - IBC 2015/ IECC 2015

tuzi

I have a project with 1/5 steel structure with steel studs and 4/5 wood structure. One level garage under grade and another level of garage above grade with concrete perimeter walls.

I can only pass ComCheck if I add CI on all wood stud wall, steel stud wall, and concrete wall, in addition to the batt insulation in the stud cavity.

We have a local building performance company helping us registered in a City's program to obtain incentive. The company is offering a modeling to show we can comply with 2015 IECC without continuous insulation. That would be a good news for the owner to save money, but I am kind of suspicious on this.

The project is a normal residential building with 46 units. It complies with IBC 2009 and old energy code without continuous insulation, and it will pass the new energy code with no change? Does anyone have some similar experience? I am waiting for the report from the building performance company.