• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Nomenclature of Components and Parts

jar546

Forum Coordinator
One thing I found out after relocating a few years ago is that different parts of the country don't always have the same name. What I grew up calling something is not what others call it in another area. Here is an example:

This is a picture of a pipe hanger. This one in particular is used for conduit so when I asked for or ordered 3/4" emt pipe hangers, this is what I got. Technically it is a conduit hanger but up north we called it a pipe hanger.

Here in south Florida they call them Minerallac straps based on the brand Minerallac, one of the companies that makes them. When I first heard this I had no idea what the hell they were talking about until I actually had one in my hand. This falls in line with Pampers and Xerox.

44540_hr4c.jpg

Does anyone else have any examples of things they had to relearn when you relocated to another area?

Reactions: JBI