• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Non Enclosed stair at upper level

Hyrax4978

I have a wood framed project in which the client asked for a convenience stairwell. the B.O. is asking me to rate the stair well as a shaft. I don't need it for exits. The best way i can describe it is its not much different than a stairwell in a house. its convenience for the owner. each floor has at grade access due to the slope of the site. So each floor has multiple exits without the use of this stair. The owners didn't want to enclose it at the top. I added a rated wall at the bottom just to keep the floors separated, even though the floors are not separated by a rating.
The B.O. wants me to make a full stair shaft. citing that you can't have openings from floor to floor. But we used a rated wall so in my mind technically its not an opening. Any help here is appreciated.

CT?....Use? OL?

(Amd) 1019.3 Occupancies other than Groups I-2 and I-3. In other than Group I-2 and I-3
occupancies, floor openings containing exit access stairways or ramps that do not comply with
one of the conditions listed in this section shall be enclosed with a shaft enclosure constructed in
accordance with Section 713.
1. In buildings equipped throughout with an automatic sprinkler system in accordance with
Section 903.3.1 with other than Group H or I occupancies, an exit access stairway serving
an occupant load of less than 10 not more than one story above the level of exit discharge.
2. In Group R-1, R-2 or R-3 occupancies, exit access stairways and ramps connecting four
stories or less serving and contained within a single residential dwelling unit or sleeping
unit or live/work unit.
3. Exit access stairways serving and contained within a Group R-3 congregate residence or
a Group R-4 facility are not required to be enclosed.
4. Exit access stairways connecting the first and second floors of Group R-1 bed and
breakfast establishments. Stairways connecting the second and third floors in such
occupancies shall be enclosed with fire separation assemblies having a fire-resistance
rating of not less than 1 hour. Stairways connecting the basement and the first floor
occupancies shall be enclosed with fire partitions having a fire-resistance rating of not less
than ½ hour with 20-minute fire-resistance-rated door assemblies. Fire-resistance
assemblies at stairways in Group R-1 bed and breakfast establishments shall not be
required to be supported by fire-resistance-rated construction.
5. Exit access stairways and ramps within an atrium complying with the provisions of Section
6. Exit access stairways and ramps in open parking garages that serve only the parking
garage.
7. Exit access stairways and ramps serving open-air seating complying with the exit access
travel distance requirements of Section 1029.7.
8. Exit access stairways and ramps serving the balcony, gallery or press box and the main
assembly floor in occupancies such as theaters, places of religious worship, auditoriums
and sport facilities.
9. Stairways serving outdoor facilities where all portions of the means of egress are
essentially open to the outside.
10. Exit access stairways serving mezzanines complying with the provisions of Section 505.

In essence, though, just about any stair that isn't an exit stair is an exit access stair. However, the issue is not really whether or not the stairs are used as a means of egress, but rather the number and size of openings through floors. Start with Section 712, Vertical Openings (2018 IBC). Find which of the sections, 712.1.1 through 712.1.16, that is applicable to your situation and follow the references. Rated enclosures are not always required.