• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Not an IEBC person

cda

Sawhorse 123
We do not have it adopted

Have not looked at it

Is there a chapter or section that covers which occupancy type is a higher hazard than another occupancy type??

Thank you

What ClassicT posted are the only references in the IEBC, but these are specific to the indicated applications and are not intended as a means to generally classify occupancies by relative hazard. You can probably extrapolate a basic classification based on the information the tables provide, but it would not be something that could be used for enforcement.

Generally, a higher hazard requires more changes than a same hazard or lower hazard - The trick with the IEBC is to use one of three methods _ Prescriptive (Chapter 4), Alteration level (1-III, change of occupancy, addition), or the performance portion of the code. This is the designer's job to convey which method they are choosing for compliance.

We recently had a building where the electrical room was being modified to provide for enclosed stairways - however, it was discovered that the primary internet fiber line ran across the proposed location for the new door - The designer was able to use the performance code to circumvent prescriptive means of the code to allow access to the electrical room thru the stairway - a little unorthodox but the life safety and means of egress scores were sufficient even with the ding caused by the stairway SNAFU.

Not a great design, however the changes being provided are bringing the existing four story community college building more code compliant than before. - In other words, the stairway dings still scored high enough that one of four stairways did not have to be fire rated or enclosed. (One of the few times that the performance portion of the IEBC was beneficial to the architect and to the college.)

Below is another rank of occupancies that is not enforceable.
This is based on some fuzzy math and 2012 IBC Table 503. Which gives us the allowable building heights and areas.
Again I say that this is entirely worthless but I have this posted near my desk anyway.
The purpose is to help my coworkers understand that when we have a change in occupancy from one thing to something less hazardous, then we should not scrutinize the project to the point that we kill it entirely.

Highest Hazard

H-2 Hazard - Flammable Gas & Liquids
U Miscellaneous or private garage
I-1 Institutional - Assisted Living
H-1 High Hazard - Explosives
I-3 Institutional - Detention Center
A-* Assembly - Restaurant, Church, etc.
H-3 Hazardous - Consumer Fireworks
I-2 Institutional - Hospital
M Mercantile
I-4 Institutional - Daycare
R-* Residential Facilities + Sleeping Units