• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Not code related but looking for a reference...

BBrownMRA

This is only tangentially code related, as it is in response to a Peer Review comment.

We have some high density shelving going into a renovation of an outpatient healthcare occupancy. The peer review is asking for a structural analysis of the building to support the high density.

We have done this tons of times before when the storage system is filing cabinets filled with paper. However this time it is Metro Wire shelving filled with misc. medical supplies, (gowns, specimen cups, etc.)

I can get the weight of the shelving without an issue, but I can't find a reference for the dead load of that type of storage. The building does not have a huge dead load capacity, and we do not want to resort to the worst case scenario, since it would likely trigger some structural work.

Short of going out and measuring and weighting a box and doing some extrapolations, is there any sort of reference out there in the world that I could reference?

rleibowitz said:
You could do a search for architectural standards/ medical supplies...as a starting point
Unfortunately, I tried that as a first step, ended up with just a sea of unrelated information.

Have you asked Metro-Wire? They may not have an answer but they might know where to send you. Could it be that a particular rack system has a weight capacity limit that serves as an acceptable default?

Home | Metro-Wire.com

Because design decisions are sensitive to the assumptions made I would suggest a discussion with the client on how they will use the space and weigh several sample shelves. I would then explain to your client your assumption and their obligation not to overload the storage shelves. If your client is not comfortable with this approach then the only answer is to go with a traditional conservative approach.

The only way to do it with complete safety would be to utilize the maximum rated capacity for the shelving units. Unfortunately it sounds like that would throw the project into needing additional structural work to support that weight. That may not be a good thing as far as project costs go but especially considering that this is a medical facility safety should be of utmost importance.

The California Building Code Table 1607A.1 might be used as a guide. The table lists some minimum design loads for storage racks and wall hung cabinets: 33 pounds per cubic foot (pcf) for paper media, 50 pcf for film media and 20 pcf for all other. You might use that to calculate the weight on the shelving. Then, calculate the psf on the floor and compare that to the live load.

I wanted to add that hospitals in California use chapter 16A. So the loads on the shelving loads would be similar in a outpatient clinic. Also, the structural design requirements for California Hospitals is fairly conservative, so a peer reviewer probably would not dispute this load criteria.

= = =

"Short of going out and measuring and weighting a box and doing some extrapolations,is there any sort of reference out there in the world that I could reference?"
Possibly ask the supplier of the shelving to provide youwith the manufacturer' [ designed loads ] info., or the

name & address of the manufacturer, unless this is

some type of overseas manufactured product.

= = =