• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Number of Operations for ACCESS

LGreene

I really need some help with this one. I have been contacted about a new apartment building in California where each dwelling unit has an electronic lock on the door leading from the corridor to the apartment. For egress, turning the lever retracts both the latchbolt and deadbolt, so this goes above and beyond what is required since a separate deadbolt and latching hardware (2 operations for egress) are allowed on dwelling unit entries. The lock is UL listed for use on a fire door assembly, so all is well there.

The accessibility question that has been raised is in regard to the number of operations to unlock the door from the outside. The lock works this way:

1) Present an access card, fob, or smart phone – just hold it close to the lock – no insertion required.
2) Retract the deadbolt using a thumbturn that does not require tight grasping/pinching/twisting – it can be pushed from side to side with the tip of a finger or the side of a palm.
3) Turn the lever to retract the latchbolt and open the door.

Operating this lock is much easier than inserting and turning a key to retract the deadbolt, and then doing it again to unlock the lever, but this mechanical operation would technically be allowed by the ADA because the ADA doesn't address keys. I have not found anything in any code or standard that would limit the number of operations to unlock the electronic lock from the outside as long as each of the operations can be performed without tight grasping, pinching, or twisting of the wrist, and the operations don't have to be performed simultaneously or with a high amount of dexterity.

Any thoughts?

- Lori

Reactions: JBI
Well not code, but one of my first bosses ask,

Can a one armed blind person open the door

Maybe they would need regular hardware on a few units.

Or the means to change, if a unit needs it.

Last edited:
Well not code, but one of my first bosses ask,

Can a one armed blind person open the door

If a person who is visually-impaired and has one arm lives in one of these apartments, they can easily present their access credential, turn the thumbturn, and then turn the lever - all with one hand or a closed fist. These 3 operations are not performed simultaneously. As with any lock, the occupant would have to become familiar with how it operates, but the answer to your old boss would be yes.

Reactions: JBI
Hum not staying at a holiday inn,

But the one I am at takes only two operations

Swipe the card than turn the lever to get in.

I guess one more operation, would just be more time??

SO, have these been installed anywhere else??

Hum not staying at a holiday inn,

But the one I am at takes only two operations

Swipe the card than turn the lever to get in.

I guess one more operation, would just be more time??

SO, have these been installed anywhere else??

Yes - thousands of these have been installed. The difference between a hotel lock and an apartment lock is that although a hotel lock has a deadbolt, it is not being retracted when you present/swipe your card. Your card is typically only controlling the latchbolt and then you throw the bolt once you enter the room. With the apartment lock, the card/fob is unlocking the deadbolt, the thumbturn retracts the deadbolt, and the lever retracts the latchbolt.

Reason for the question was

If brand new item, maybe not field tested.

If used before seems like if there was a problem with the use , it would have come up

I agree that there is no problem with number of operations to enter, and it sounds like it meets the accessible question.

Neat

Any back up if no power or fob problem or other??

Especially in an apartment setting.

Guess old fashioned, I would like a key back up.

Never have had a problem at a hotel, ye right

Neat

Any back up if no power or fob problem or other??

Especially in an apartment setting.

Guess old fashioned, I would like a key back up.

Never have had a problem at a hotel, ye right

If the battery dies, you hold a new battery to a certain spot on the outside and then you can present the fob and unlock the door that way.

You can't (and don't have to)meet a requirement that is not there.....It's fine, no violation of the IBC

I agree, but if the AHJ says it should only take 2 operations to unlock the door from the outside and this lock requires 3 operations, what then? The locks are installed - hundreds on this project alone.

I agree, but if the AHJ says it should only take 2 operations to unlock the door from the outside and this lock requires 3 operations, what then? The locks are installed - hundreds on this project alone.

Approach the ahj with the question, pre project.

See if they can produce anything in black and white, to review.

What is their code reference? I don't know of a code section that would restrict the actions to gain entry.

What is their code reference? I don't know of a code section that would restrict the actions to gain entry.

This is the only code reference that was forwarded to me, which does not mention anything about the number of operations:

1138A.4.4 Operation. Controls and operating mechanisms shall be operable with one hand and shall not require tight grasping, pinching or twisting of the wrist. The force required to activate controls and operating mechanisms shall be no greater than 5 pounds (22.2 N).

This is the only code reference that was forwarded to me, which does not mention anything about the number of operations:

1138A.4.4 Operation. Controls and operating mechanisms shall be operable with one hand and shall not require tight grasping, pinching or twisting of the wrist. The force required to activate controls and operating mechanisms shall be no greater than 5 pounds (22.2 N).

Did they send this to you along with a correction notice, or did you ask the question? If they provided this reference as a reply to your question, move on as you meet these conditions.

Not sure if you can hold the smart phone and turn the two latches with the same hand without tight grasping of the phone. I tried it myself and if I don't hold the phone tightly I will drop it. If you need to put the phone back in your pocket or pick it up off the floor after you drop it that would be another operation. More if you are using a pocketbook to keep your phone in.