• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

NYC DOB issued partial vacate order on garage, specifics on correcting issue

noirbringer

Hello everyone, I live in Brooklyn, NYC. My garage was issued a partial vacate order by the Dept. of Buildings in NYC. The order stated that one of the walls supporting the structure has begun to lean and there are 2 large vertical cracks that are 3in. deep from the top to the bottom of the wall. Garage is 25x30x16ft with a peaked roof. It also says that it does not have a gutter. I started to ask a few contractors to look at the garage to give me quotes and options. Below are there responses. I want to know what DOB code they are using to tell me that I need to follow either course of action. Im trying not to get scammed. If you can provide me the specific code I can see who is scamming me and how to lift the vacate order.

1) complete demolish and rebuild of the garage over $25K
2) demolish and rebuild of the affected wall only $5K

Without seeing the garage, it is very difficult to say. From your description, it sounds like your walls are either masonry of some kind (brick, cinder block, etc.) or poured concrete. The construction type of the walls is a major factor in determining how to fix it, and without seeing it I can't give you a good answer on how to fix it.

My guess is that since the DOB only ordered a partial vacate and only mentioned one wall, it is their opinion that you will be able to replace the one wall and not have to tear the whole garage down.

The other thing you might consider is that perhaps the wall is cracked because the foundation it is sitting on is failing.

You need someone competent to look at it and see what is going on. There is no way to tell if you can trust a contractor if you are not experienced in the industry - probably half of the people who do garbage work are honest people who just don't know what they are doing. There are many, many good contractors out there, but they charge good money because they do quality work, and they are very busy. So, be careful not to cheap out when you hire a contractor.

You may be well served if you hire a structural engineer to advise you, the extra money spent there may very well save you other problems in the future, and he probably knows some good builders by reputation.

On the Summons they gave it says remedy "maintain exterior building wall; demolish and rebuild" its a class I violation. The wall is cinder block. Can you recommend any contractors and engineers.

Hire an engineer to help you understand the nature of the problem and to develop a strategy. Many engineers will be able to help you find a contractor. If you are concerned about the cost you can get multiple bids on the drawings prepared by the engineer. Be aware that cheapest is not always the best.

You can bypass the engineer if all you want is to demolish the garage.

I worked in NYC, for several years and was amazed at the number of brick buildings that collapsed Such failures do not occur in California. Treat this seriously.

Hire an engineer to help you understand the nature of the problem and to develop a strategy. Many engineers will be able to help you find a contractor. If you are concerned about the cost you can get multiple bids on the drawings prepared by the engineer. Be aware that cheapest is not always the best.

You can bypass the engineer if all you want is to demolish the garage.

I worked in NYC, for several years and was amazed at the number of brick buildings that collapsed Such failures do not occur in California. Treat this seriously.
Thank you. Do you have any recommendations for an engineer in NYC?

Thank you. Do you have any recommendations for an engineer in NYC?
There are thousands. What you might do is (look in the phone book) do a web search for residential architect, call them, briefly tell them your situation, and ask for an engineer they use.