• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

NYC Fire Extinguisher requirement boiler room

jpeaches

Hello all,

I live in a 3 story - 3 family condominium garden apartment complex in NYC. The complex has recently received a violation from the NYCFD for a lack of a fire extinguisher at "boiler rooms" in violation of FC 906.1 and or 906.3 requiring an ABCD rating fire extinguisher. The 3 boilers for each of the 3 units are all in the 1 car, 1st floor garage in the same room with 3 separate doors for each of the boilers. The boilers are gas fired units of about 135,000 BTUs. I have read the codes that are stated in the violation, but don't see that it pertains to the configuration of the boilers in our complex. The complex is over 40 years old and I doubt that this is the first time the FD has noticed a lack of an extinguisher if it is required. Any help with the NYC requirements for fire extinguishers for boiler rooms fitting the situation I have described would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for any help.

Should have asked do they want them inside the boiler room or outside???

My opinion kind of a personal call. Without seeing it, I would lean to not asking for one

Yes probably by code required

Will it do any good??? Maybe if there were a car fire or similar near it.

I guess besides is it really required,,,, Why the question

I could see under # 6 technically required

1 Where required.
Portable fire extinguishers shall be
installed in the following locations.
1. In all Group A, B, E, F, H, I, M, R-1,
R-2 adult homes and enriched housing, and S
occupancies.
2. Within 30 feet (9144 mm) of
commercial cooking equipment.
3. In areas where flammable or combustible
liquids are manufactured
, stored, handled and
used, including dispensing, in quantities
requiring a permit pursuant to FC105.6.
4. On each floor of structures under construc
tion, alteration or demolition, except detached
Group R-3 occupancies, in accordance with FC1415.1.
5. Where required by the sections
indicated in FC Table 906.1.
6. Special-hazard areas, including but not lim
ited to laboratories, computer rooms and
generator rooms, where required by the commissioner.
7. Where required by other provisions
of this code or the rules

906.3 covers travel to a fire extinguisher

Which they can also use to require it

I would think the code would mention boiler room under special-hazard if it was included under that definition, as it applies to many more situations than those listed.

I would think the code would mention boiler room under special-hazard if it was included under that definition, as it applies to many more situations than those listed.

Code cannot list every situation

Just a few examples which I would include boilers in.

Just trying to find out why the fire department never noticed the violation for the last 40 years. Here in NYC they are at almost every call for a gas leak and have been to the complex on numerous occasions. The gas POE is the garage area of each of the 150+ three family dwellings.

Different inspector

The firefighters normally handle the incident only.

Sometimes if they see a major problem or have a question,,, they bump it up

Different inspector

The firefighters normally handle the incident only.

Sometimes if they see a major problem or have a question,,, they bump it up
True. The violation gave the battalion and truck number which is on the same block as the complex. I guess they have an inspector at the house and they haven't done an inspection in the complex until this July

True. The violation gave the battalion and truck number which is on the same block as the complex. I guess they have an inspector at the house and they haven't done an inspection in the complex until this July

Nice

Some people wonder why prevention inspections are not done ,,,, To prevent fires

Like the wheels of justice

The complex must have had 5 different property management companies over the years - one of them should have the property inspected

do you think we should find out if they are actually required or just move on and buy 100 portable abcd portable fire extinguishers and have a company perform the monthly inspections and the annual servicing? thanks in advance for your continued helpful insight

do you think we should find out if they are actually required or just move on and buy 100 portable abcd portable fire extinguishers and have a company perform the monthly inspections and the annual servicing? thanks in advance for your continued helpful insight

why 100???

Yes, when there is a possible fire you will wish you had one, maybe wish you had 100.

That is MY helpful insight for the day, as I am also a Volunteer Fireman for 25 years, the Town where I work Fire Inspector and County Fire Inspector.

You should probably buy 101 and keep one in your unit. :)

I think it is a judgement call.

For me without seeing the layout, hard to call.

But seems excessive

Sounds to me like a large complex and the fire inspector is only askin for one extinguisher in a basement that serves 3 units.

I will assume there are 300 units if the OP says they need to buy 100 fire extinguishers.

I dont know if its excessive or not but would probably cost each unit owner a couple of bucks. not the end of the world. (in my opinion)

Sounds to me like a large complex and the fire inspector is only askin for one extinguisher in a basement that serves 3 units.

I will assume there are 300 units if the OP says they need to buy 100 fire extinguishers.

I dont know if its excessive or not but would probably cost each unit owner a couple of bucks. not the end of the world. (in my opinion)

And someone walks down there a sees even a small fire,,, will they know where the extinguisher is?, will they know how to use it,,,,,,,,,,,, Will they call 911 as they are leaving the area??

Your honor what sounds more plausible.