• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

occupancy calc indoor offleash dog bar

padair

Hi, I'm new to the thread so hopefully I'm doing this right.

I'm currently helping a friend evaluate a space for a potential off-leash dog bar. I'm doing some code homework to check for any unforeseen expenses. ie. adding a sprinkler system.

Current situation:
2,000 sf CMU buildings, former convenient store, one story, proper exits

Future situation:
off-leash dog zone separated by gate (access to off-leash would require certain papers or membership)
leash zone (area for people to hang with their dogs without membership)
bar would span both sides of gate for service

Is it a stretch to consider the off-leash dog area an exhibition hall and count it as less occupancy since it will be designed as a dedicated area for dogs to play? There will be some seating in this area for owners to be closer to their dog.

Quick math as part exhibition hall and part bar is what I calculated below, but maybe there's an alternative such as counting seats? This is my first time researching code on bars and restaurants.

1500(off-leash) and 500 (on-leash). I get 1500/30 = 50 occupants for off-leash and 500/15 = 33 which puts me at 88 occupants total.

What is everyone's opinion on the occupancy load for an area that is primarily for dogs with a few seats at the perimeter of the space? There area a few of these dog bars popping up around the states, they all seem to be fairly large spaces and from the looks of this image below I don't see any sprinklers.

The layout would be similar to what is shown in the image
037af7_c92d5c113d1e4ff5bd11be520b45ab94~mv2_d_9934_3880_s_4_2.webp

You have to be a paying Sawhorse to do easy uploads

Otherwise make your stuff into a link
And post the link,,,, something I do not know how to do.

So with all that said
Lost on the concept

Do you want the dogs inside the building only??

And also a bar/ restaurant in the same building ???

And all of this is stuffed in a 2000 Sq ft building???

Using 15 and 30 factors is more than likely wrong.

Last question

What building code and year edition is adopted by the city this will be in????

The dogwood park in Seattle is the best example for reference of concept.

http://www.dogwoodseattle.com/

I should note that there is no kitchen component in this. The only things being planned for aside from separate dog zones are storage, restrooms and an outdoor space.

This is for Ohio building code 2017.

The health dept issue is a separate issue that has been brought up and is in discussion. Like I said I’m just helping out for feasibility.

The dogwood park in Seattle is the best example for reference of concept.

http://www.dogwoodseattle.com/

I should note that there is no kitchen component in this. The only things being planned for aside from separate dog zones are storage, restrooms and an outdoor space.

This is for Ohio building code 2017.

The health dept issue is a separate issue that has been brought up and is in discussion. Like I said I’m just helping out for feasibility.

But the dogs and people will be drinking alcohol ???

For sprinkler question, more than likely it would be an A-2:::

Sprinklers required over 100 humans

903.2.1.2 Group A-2. An automatic sprinkler system shall be provided for fire areas containing Group A-2 occupancies and intervening floors of the building where one of the following conditions exists:

1. The fire area exceeds 5,000 square feet ( 464.5 m2).

2. The fire area has an occupant load of 100 or more.

3. The fire area is located on a floor other than a level of exit discharge serving such occupancies.

Dogs would not be drinking alcohol.

I originally thought the entire area would be calculated as a-2 which I know by code would definitely put us over 100 occupants and require a sprinkler system.

Can the dog area be viewed as a different occupancy such as a-3? Along the lines of exhibition or pool hall?

Would have to look

An A-2 to A-3 might require a rated barrier, unless there is an exception

Plus if not required, and the entire space is open, that still may kick in sprinkler requirements.

This reminds me of the old coin laundry and bar together, makes you not care you have to lug all your clothes to the laundry.

Give it a day or two and you will get some great answers

Call it an A-4 and calculate the dog area OL as an exercise area at 50 sq ft per person and the bar queue area at 15 per sq ft per person. Less than 300 OL no sprinklers required
Remember the KISS solution Keep It Short & Simple

Call it an A-4 and calculate the dog area OL as an exercise area at 50 sq ft per person and the bar queue area at 15 per sq ft per person. Less than 300 OL no sprinklers required
Remember the KISS solution Keep It Short & Simple

But it is all one room

Not sure where the humans stop and the dogs begin

Not sure where the humans stop and the dogs begin

1500(off-leash) and 500 (on-leash).

Doesn't really matter you will never get to the 300 OL that requires a fire suppression system which is what the OP is trying to determine

[F] 903.2.1.4 Group A-4.
An automatic sprinkler system shall be provided for Group A-4 occupancies where one of the following conditions exists:

1. The fire area exceeds 12,000 square feet (1115 m2);

2. The fire area has an occupant load of 300 or more; or

3. The fire area is located on a floor other than a level of exit discharge serving such occupancies.

And the sporting event is???

5 Assembly Group A-4.
Group A-4 occupancy includes assembly uses intended for viewing of indoor sporting events and activities with spectator seating including, but not limited to:

• Arenas

• Skating rinks

• Swimming pools

• Tennis courts

Catch the ball??????

302.1 General.
Structures or portions of structures shall be classified with respect to occupancy in one or more of the groups listed in this section. A room or space that is intended to be occupied at different times for different purposes shall comply with all of the requirements that are applicable to each of the purposes for which the room or space will be occupied. Structures with multiple occupancies or uses shall comply with Section 508. Where a structure is proposed for a purpose that is not specifically provided for in this code, such structure shall be classified in the group that the occupancy most nearly resembles, according to the fire safety and relative hazard involved.

303.5 Assembly Group A-4.
Assembly uses intended for viewing of indoor sporting events and activities with spectator seating including, but not limited to:

The owners are watching their dogs playful activities

I'll play devil's advocate...

What happens when one of your puppy owners decides that this would make a perfect setting for their upcoming wedding? They are able to fit seating for 200+ pooches welcome. Would an event like this be handled with a special request to the city/fire marshal? Or should it be considered in the initial planning?

I don't mean to criticize the plan, I am truly curious.

Reactions: cda
I'll play devil's advocate...

What happens when one of your puppy owners decides that this would make a perfect setting for their upcoming wedding? They are able to fit seating for 200+ pooches welcome. Would an event like this be handled with a special request to the city/fire marshal? Or should it be considered in the initial planning?

I don't mean to criticize the plan, I am truly curious.

That's easy, the maximum occupant sign would stop that!o_O

Ok I am working on a code change with all these

Dog and cat restaurant/ bars popping up!!!

I am just trying to decide what occupant load factor to submit for dogs and cats.

Seems like it would be the same or less??