• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Occupancy Sign Required?

Michael.L

I'm trying to determine if we need to post a "Maximum Occupancy" sign. And if so, what number to put on it. The details of our space:

Occupancy Type: Group B (It's a bakery with walk-up counter service only; no in-store seating/dining.)
Construction Type: II-B
Floor Area: 645 SF
Occupancy Separation: Non-separated
Occupant Load: 13
Fire Sprinklers: Yes
Exits: 1 Required, 2 Provided
Max Travel Distance: 57 Feet (200' Allowed)
Fire Alarm: Yes

Occupant Load Calculation
Office (Gross): 125 SF @ 1/100 SF = 1.25
Kitchen (Gross): 390 SF @ 1/200 SF = 2
Counter Service: 65 SF @ 1/7 SF = 9.2
Total: 12.45

I thought that all public shops required occupancy signage, but from what I've been reading, it seems that no sign is required if the maximum occupancy is less than 50. Is that correct? If a sign is required (or if we choose to put one), we put "13" as the maximum occupancy, correct?

Based on 2015 IBC 1004.3, the occupant load sign is required at assembly occupancies. Section 303.1.1 says a building or tenant space used for assembly purposes with an occupant load of less than 50 shall be classified as a Group B occupancy. That all agrees with your finding that the sign is not required for an occupant load less than 50.

Agree, but a sign limiting the occupancy to a "baker's dozen" would be fun! If it were me I would ask the AHJ if I could put one up anyway.

I only say that because someone may see it as an "unapproved" sign or verbiage. Sadly, there may be individuals out there that might not see the humor in it and say if the sign is going to be there it must be serious.

If you have to have a sign make it for the maximum number of people you can have before needing a second toilet or exit.