• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Occupancy Use Group for Refrigeration Machinery Room

Mech

2015 IBC

New Construction, Type 2B, sprinklered.

First floor is Group F-1, maybe some B, 22,000 sf.
Second floor is Group F-2, 22,000 sf.
Third floor is an 8,100 sf refrigeration machinery room serving both the first and second floors. What is the correct occupancy use group for the third floor? F-1? F-2?

The classification makes a difference in whether or not the 2nd story ceiling / 3rd story floor requires a fire rating and also impacts the maximum allowable travel distance from the third floor.

Thanks

Work mezzanine ?

Hum what other occupancy group helps you not do the rating or travel?? B, U,?

Or which one of the F’s is better for you

Fire sprinkler on all floors?

The building started out as 2 story with rooftop equipment. Now the owner added walls and a roof over the equipment, and in my mind, turned it into a mechanical refrigeration room.

This third floor level is too large to be considered a mezzanine - it exceeds 1/3 the floor area of the second floor. I am not sure it qualifies as an equipment platform as it will not be open to the floor below. (The definition does not say if the platform must be open to the floor below, but I think it should be.)

The roof insulation from the 2 story design will actually be the floor of equipment room and the equipment will be supported from the steel below.

Sprinkler design has not been started, but I am assuming the building is sprinklered on all floors / levels.

F2, S2, and U would eliminate the need for the fire rating and also provide the largest maximum allowable travel distance.

If I can somehow keep the travel distance to 250 ft max, I could classify all three floors as F-1 and remove the fire rating.

If you can squeeze it down to 7,333 sq. ft., you can call it a mechanical penthouse per Section 1510.2 and not call it a story; thus, the only separation would be what is required for a roof assembly per Table 601.

If that's not possible, I would classify it as Group S-2, which I do for all mechanical spaces that cannot be classified as an incidental use.

I was worried about an H occupancy until I read
307.1.1 Uses other than Group H. An occupancy that stores, uses or handles hazardous materials as described in one or more of the following items shall not be classified as Group H, but shall be classified as the occupancy that it most nearly resembles.
7. Refrigeration Systems.

But I am thinking you still design to H

F]307.1.2 Hazardous materials.
Hazardous materials in any quantity shall conform to the requirements of this code, including Section 414, and the International Fire Code.

But I am thinking you still design to H

F]307.1.2 Hazardous materials.
Hazardous materials in any quantity shall conform to the requirements of this code, including Section 414, and the International Fire Code.

If over limits or other H stuff