• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Old elementary turned Religious Education Building

emily_online

I would appreciate input regarding the proper occupancy classification for a building used for religious ed. grades 1-12 on Wednesday evenings for 1 hour during the academic school year only. Info about the project below

1. Free standing educational building of 14,450 sf, on the same property as the church. Used to be a 5-6 school with two levels, 6 classrooms on each.

2. Classrooms to be split in two, resulting in 24 total classrooms.

3. Roughly 380 students to attend at once. No rooms to have occ. load >20

4. Needs a fire alarm system put in, but depending on the use group it could be very costly. But what is the proper use group?

I've read through the code and formed some preliminary ideas, but would like your unbiased takes.

Thanks,

IS the building really only used for 1-hr per week? Seems hard to believe.

IS the building really only used for 1-hr per week? Seems hard to believe
The only educational use is 1 hour a week. They will potentially rent out the classrooms for other organizations i.e. vendors or clubs who don't have a meeting space.

The only educational use is 1 hour a week. They will potentially rent out the classrooms for other organizations i.e. vendors or clubs who don't have a meeting space.

So what will it be used for the rest of the week/ time???

And the church is still in business?

Is """" the academic school year only/ academic/ eduation """ being done in the main church building??? During the weekdays??

So what will it be used for the rest of the week/ time???

And the church is still in business?
It is used for nothing other than religion classes on Wednesday nights.

Yes the church is still in business

Is """" the academic school year only/ academic/ eduation """ being done in the main church building??? During the weekdays??
The only thing meant by the academic comment is that it is held once a week September to May. Summer break it is vacant.

Check the wording in your adopted code::;

305.1.1 Accessory to Places of Religious Worship

Religious educational rooms and religious auditoriums, which are accessory to places of religious worship in accordance with Section 303.1.4 and have occupant loads of less than 100 per room or space, shall be classified as Group A-3 occupancies.

I wouldn't call a separate building being rented out accessory.....

OP seems to be mixing terms…

“”””It is used for nothing other than religion classes on Wednesday nights.

Yes the church is still in business””””

To me the rental factor is a separate factor,,,

For the ahj to deal with.

During the time it is occupied, this adapted school building will have the same risk to life safety as a school. 380 students through 12th grade and their adult supervisors, distributed around the building in classrooms. It will certainly look like a Group E occupancy.

During the time it is occupied, this adapted school building will have the same risk to life safety as a school. 380 students through 12th grade and their adult supervisors, distributed around the building in classrooms. It will certainly look like a Group E occupancy.

It will only ne used as a religous classroom building one day / one hour per week, and the rest of the week it could be rented out as meeting space to outside organizations. Pretty clear its some sort of A use to me.

It will only ne used as a religous classroom building one day / one hour per week, and the rest of the week it could be rented out as meeting space to outside organizations. Pretty clear its some sort of A use to me.
We only know one use for sure, and the code doesn’t address duration. If this was an arena, we would design it around the occasional event, not the rest of the time when it is empty.

I would say "E" for now and when they want to rent a room for a meeting since they cannot have over 50 occupants in a room it would not be "A" it would be a "B". I think "E" is stricter then "B" except "B" needs more plumbing fixtures.

For what it's worth, my understanding of the origins and intent to not call a religious use an "E" occupancy, goes back to the original intention of "Sunday School", where the parents we in a church service in the sanctuary, while the kids were in "sunday school class" in other rooms on the same campus.
If there was a fire or other emergency, the parents could go to the classrooms to help evacuate their kids.
In contrast, a regular state-mandated K-12 education puts a classroom full of kids under the sole life-safety responsibility of one adult teacher. With that in mind, the life-safety issues of an "E" school use are different than an "A3" Sunday School occupancy.

None of this is stated in the code - - it's just anecdotes I've heard over the years as to how the code came about.

Last edited: