• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

One exit, open stair questions

cda

Sawhorse 123
So, will give as much detail as possible, if missing something let me know
This is not my area, just trying to get educated on this one exit thing

2015 IBC

two story type V building/ not built yet

One tenant for entire building

B Occupancy

Fire sprinkler system

5800 Sq Ft per floor

100 x 58

55 occupant load per floor

One open stair, only for exiting from the second floor

the one open stair dumps into the first floor corridor, and not directly to the outside.

So questions I see so far.

Code sections would be highly appreciated.

1. Does the second floor require two exits

2. 2nd Floor worse case travel, just to get to the stair, and not down to the first floor, is 225 feet.

3. Can they have an open stair

4. Can the stair dump into the building, and not directly to the outside

5. if possible, and the occupant load can be lowered, will that help with the above questions?

Thanks trying to learn, just a few extra parts in this one.

You exceed 1,000 sq. ft and/or 10 occupants: 2 accessible means of exit from 2nd floor required

You exceed 1,000 sq. ft and/or 10 occupants: 2 accessible means of exit from 2nd floor required

There is an elevator

I did not throw that in, because I did not think it counted ???

Right wrong??

table 1006.3.1 required two exits from from a story with an occupant load of 500 people or less. 1006.3.2 list situations where a single exits from a story is allowed but none of the listed conditions seem to apply to what you have described.

Reactions: cda
table 1006.3.1 required two exits from from a story with an occupant load of 500 people or less. 1006.3.2 list situations where a single exits from a story is allowed but none of the listed conditions seem to apply to what you have described.

Will look thanks

How about the open stair ???

And also that it discharges into the interior.
Have to look to see if straight shot to an exit or not.

Start here:

1019.3 Occupancies other than Groups I-2 and I-3. In
other than Group I-2 and I-3 occupancies, floor openings containing
exit access stairways or ramps that do not comply
with one of the conditions listed in this section shall be.....

Reactions: cda
Start here:

Will do

Start here:

How about the section that says

Has to dump directly to the outside

1023.1 General

Interior exit stairways and ramps serving as an exit component in a means of egress system shall comply with the requirements of this section. Interior exit stairways and ramps shall be enclosed and lead directly to the exterior of the building or shall be extended to the exterior of the building with an exit passageway conforming to the requirements of Section 1024, except as permitted in Section 1028.1. An interior exit stairway or ramp shall not be used for any purpose other than as a means of egress and a circulation path.

Last edited:
and/ or

once you come down the stairs, the exterior exit has to be seen/ just walk directly to it

1028.1 General

Exits shall discharge directly to the exterior of the building. The exit discharge shall be at grade or shall provide a direct path of egress travel to grade. The exit discharge shall not reenter a building. The combined use of Exceptions 1 and 2 shall not exceed 50 percent of the number and minimum width or required capacity of the required exits.

Exceptions:
  1. Not more than 50 percent of the number and minimum width or required capacity of interior exit stairways and ramps is permitted to egress through areas on the level of discharge provided all of the following conditions are met:
    1. Discharge of interior exit stairways and ramps shall be provided with a free and unobstructed path of travel to an exterior exit door and such exit is readily visible and identifiable from the point of termination of the enclosure.
    2. The entire area of the level of exit discharge is separated from areas below by construction conforming to the fire-resistance rating for the enclosure.
    3. The egress path from the interior exit stairway and ramp on the level of exit discharge is protected throughout by an approved automatic sprinkler system. Portions of the level of exit discharge with access to the egress path shall be either equipped throughout with an automatic sprinkler system installed in accordance with Section 903.3.1.1 or 903.3.1.2, or separated from the egress path in accordance with the requirements for the enclosure of interior exit stairways or ramps.
    4. Where a required interior exit stairway or ramp and an exit access stairway or ramp serve the same floor level and terminate at the same level of exit discharge, the termination of the exit access stairway or ramp and the exit discharge door of the interior exit stairway or ramp shall be separated by a distance of not less than 30 feet (9144 mm) or not less than one-fourth the length of the maximum overall diagonal dimension of the building, whichever is less. The distance shall be measured in a straight line between the exit discharge door from the interior exit stairway or ramp and the last tread of the exit access stairway or termination of slope of the exit access ramp.
  2. Not more than 50 percent of the number and minimum width or required capacity of the interior exit stairways and ramps is permitted to egress through a vestibule provided all of the following conditions are met:
    1. The entire area of the vestibule is separated from areas below by construction conforming to the fire-resistance rating of the interior exit stairway or ramp enclosure.
    2. The depth from the exterior of the building is not greater than 10 feet (3048 mm) and the length is not greater than 30 feet (9144 mm).
    3. The area is separated from the remainder of the level of exit discharge by a fire partition constructed in accordance with Section 708.
      Exception: The maximum transmitted temperature rise is not required.
    4. The area is used only for means of egress and exits directly to the outside.
  3. Horizontal exits complying with Section 1026 shall not be required to discharge directly to the exterior of the building.

How about the section that says

Has to dump directly to the outside

1023.1 General

Interior exit stairways and ramps serving as an exit component in a means of egress system shall comply with the requirements of this section. Interior exit stairways and ramps shall be enclosed and lead directly to the exterior of the building or shall be extended to the exterior of the building with an exit passageway conforming to the requirements of Section 1024, except as permitted in Section 1028.1. An interior exit stairway or ramp shall not be used for any purpose other than as a means of egress and a circulation path.

this section is for enclosed interior exit stairways, and open stair would be an exit access stairway, different section in the code.

Reduce building size with the occupancy <50 on each floor or since you have sprinklers add 2nd exit on the 1st floor and design for CPET to comply with exit access stair location.

SO follow up...

If only one exit was required,,,

two story with sprinkler system

Open, non rated stair enclosure

The question is can it discharge to the inside of the building???,,,,

Or does it have to discharge directly to the outside???

Code sections please...

Thank you