• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Painting Curbs

north star

Sawhorse
% + % + %

So, recently we had a Safety Consultant to come by our facility

to perform a Safety Audit, and they have recommended painting the
concrete curbs around the main building, because it poses a "potential"
trip hazard.........They only made a "recommendation", and did not cite

any regulatory standard........I am challenging their recommendation !

Have any of you had this recommendation or possibly, ...a requirement ?

% + % + %

Sounds kinda petty. Here the insurance guy is concerned more with sidewalks out of compliance, wants a city wide sidewalk inspection program.

Google "trips on curbs" and many sources pointing out the hazard. I don't know of a specific requirement for parking lots but that expert's report in your company's files will probably double or more any litigation award. The worst areas are the sloped curbs adjacent to curb cuts. Hard to see because so low and research shows a difference of under 1/4" is enough to cause a fall.

Some people just need to justify their job.

Why I write at least one violation / per inspection.

OSHA would likely cite it if investigating an employee incident. Also, while not adopted into law as far as I know, ASTM F 1637, Standard Practice for Safe Walking Surfaces, might be useful.

% + % + %

% + % + %

Don't see many painted curbs,, just saying

I can trip on the sidewalk when it changes elevation for a wheelchair ramp.

What color do they want?

Shouldn't there be a "Caution approaching curb sign and some kind of blinking lights and a horn!"

% + % + %

% + % + %
I cannot recall the code but, the change of elevations on a stair must be identified differently. Many stair wells have a strip on the first and last step. He may be thinking asking that line

Something related in A117.1 too, iirc. l 406.3.2 Marking. If curbs adjacent to the ramp flares are painted, the painted surface shall extend along the flared portion of the curb.

Not requiring OP to paint, unless it fits.

In the movie "Airplane" the public address announcers tell you what color the lane is for, should be spelled out somewhere?

We have red for a fire lane and yellow for no parking. I saw blue for ADA somewhere and green the other day for picking up a call in order at the store. The White lane, well, you'll have to watch Airplane , I can't remember?