• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

passing grade

ICE

Oh Well
For the Commercial Electrical Certification the individual answered 63 of 80 questions correctly which is 79.75% yet was told that he failed. I am not aware of how the exam score is tabulated. Can anyone shed light on that. I have also not found a phone number for ICC and that would be appreciated.

I can't get the ICC website to load up.

For the Commercial Electrical Certification the individual answered 63 of 80 questions correctly which is 79.75% yet was told that he failed. I am not aware of how the exam score is tabulated. Can anyone shed light on that. I have also not found a phone number for ICC and that would be appreciated.

Write the horseman, JP, May be quicker

There may be some extra sample questions as part of the 80, that do not count,,, or whatever you call the extras

888-422-7233 worked however, no information is available. I was told that 75% is a passing grade.....maybe....she wasn't sure about that. They have a record of the exam purchase but they have no record of the exam having been taken. Apparently he has to appeal the result in order to get anywhere with this.

Write the horse man

Maybe one term is “ experimental questions”

Not all questions are worth the same score

What is a scaled score?​

A scaled score transforms a raw test score (the number of test questions answered correctly) into other measurement units, called a scale score. However, please know that a scale score is not the number of questions answered correctly, nor the percentage of questions answered correctly.
Is the current test more or less difficult than prior tests, or future tests? There are multiple forms of the ICC examinations. While these forms were developed from the same set of content specifications, the levels of difficulty of the forms will vary because different exam questions appear on different forms. Some of these questions by their nature (and designated in the cut-score) are more difficult than others, even though they pertain to the same section of the exam. It would be unfair to require a candidate taking a collection (form) of somewhat more difficult questions to answer as many questions correctly as a candidate who took an easier form. So, we use a statistical procedure known as scaling to correct for differences in test form difficulty.
Think of it this way. Let’s say an elementary school hired the ICC to create an exam to test for knowledge of aspects of mathematics. Further, let’s say the exam was called “Addition and Subtraction,” and the Exam Catalog states it is a 100-item exam.
Look at the first ten questions of two different exam forms, both of which measure the concept of “Addition and Subtraction”:
QuestionExam Form 1QuestionExam Form 2
1.2 + 4 =1.6 + 9 =
2.6 + 4 =2.16 + 26 =
3.7 – 3 =3.18 – 16 =
4.18 + 15 =4.23 + 99 =
5.16 – 4 =5.86 – 44 =
6.8 + 8 =6.5 + 1 =
7.4 + 9 =7.29 + 88 =
9.4 + 15 =9.48 + 96 =
10.7 – 4 =10.55 + 38 =
As you can see, the questions on Form 2 are a bit harder than the questions on Form 1. If these were both 100-item exam forms with such a continuing mix of items, it would be unfair to require the students who were administered Exam Form 2 to answer the same number of questions correctly in order to pass.
Updated on May 30, 2018

Reactions: cda
When i took my GC exam the instructions explained that there were several experimental questions that did not count, they were there to evaluate the reference materials. Wonder if thats shat happened to you.

The caveat from ICC, is their tests are weighted depending upon the question or questions posed. Some have more value than others. It is not a straight percentage as you stated. ICC does not administer the test, but a 3rd party. That's where you need to begin your search, or like almost all who did not pass, restudy the materials paying attention to the sections they noted as less than average, and retake the exam. Don't wait too long as it being fresh helps greatly.

Thanks Ed,

My friend found out pretty much the same thing. He is a car payment into paying for exams and is closing in on a house payment. The rub is that he is proficient in residential electrical but the AHJ demands a commercial certification for the next promotion. When I took the exam there was just Electrical Inspector but it was also more questions and much of it was closed book whereas now it is 80 questions and open book.

Had a mentor suggest to always challenge the test even before you take it so you can find out what you missed. That was on paper, though.