• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Permit fees potentially unconstitutional?

Yankee Chronicler

A "traffic mitigation fee" is more related to zoning than to building codes, but the same principle probably applies when building permit fees to into the general fund and the building department on gets back maybe 20 percent of the permit fees.

This example is similar to a whole host of fees. I worked in a city that had an Art Fee that applied to commercial development. The money that was collected was spent on such things as a water feature at a park. The fee was large and so was the water feature. There were several in the city.

One was located on the corner of an intersection at the city limit. Behind it was a residential development on an existing oil field. The derricks had been removed and replaced with electric pumps to make room for houses and condominiums. I arrived at the city just in time to perform a final inspection on the water feature. It has it's own transformer. The pumps and controls were placed in a vault.

There was no methane barrier for the vault. I found that out when I asked about the venting. I figured that my time in that city was going to be cut short. I guy can hope... but no, I lasted about four years before getting booted. I don't recall the outcome as it was twenty years ago. I'm pretty sure that they ignored me as the city's fire department was responsible for methane barriers.

This was at a park:civic-art-in-santa-fe-springs-california-BDBTTK.jpg

Last edited:
A "traffic mitigation fee" is more related to zoning than to building codes, but the same principle probably applies when building permit fees to into the general fund and the building department on gets back maybe 20 percent of the permit fees.

It is important to differentiate mitigation fees from building permit fees. In California state law says that the total fees charged by the building department, when averaged over all projects, cannot exceed the total costs of the department.

This issue around fees has been litigated in Canada up to our Supreme Court. Basically:
1. The average fees for a project cannot exceed the average costs of service delivery.
2. The fee scheme must be directly tied to the work necessary to complete the obligations of the government agency.
The issue is that many jurisdictions tie their fees to the cost of construction, but the cost of construction can deviate greatly from the costs of service delivery.

It is important to differentiate mitigation fees from building permit fees. In California state law says that the total fees charged by the building department, when averaged over all projects, cannot exceed the total costs of the department.
Well as you have pointed out ad nauseam, building departments don't obey the law.

This issue around fees has been litigated in Canada up to our Supreme Court. Basically:
1. The average fees for a project cannot exceed the average costs of service delivery.
2. The fee scheme must be directly tied to the work necessary to complete the obligations of the government agency.
The issue is that many jurisdictions tie their fees to the cost of construction, but the cost of construction can deviate greatly from the costs of service delivery.
Interesting. In most cases, I find our province's fees ($25+$5/$1000 of estimated cost) are ridiculously cheap.

Buddy wants to build a deck. Couple hours for administration and pre-screening (no, you can't use deck blocks and attach it to the house, please re-submit plans), then land-use approval before it comes to my desk. Easy 15-minute plans review (Throw in a stamp to mail the permit), then a pre-pour inspection (1.5 hours in travel, plus gas) because the contractor seemed quite confused that he couldn't use a posthole auger and just drop a sonotube down and pour concrete ("Footin'? I ain't never done that before... it's just a deck, man!"), and we want to make sure there's actually a foundation.
So that's 3.75 hours and a few bucks in gas, and concrete isn't poured yet.

Add in a 2-hour travel-plus-arguing-followed-by-education-session framing inspection that goes awry because the contractor - Chuck with a Truck - has deviated from plans because "that's the way I've always done it/when did that rule about 6x6 posts come in/screws are stronger than nails/whaddya mean I can't bolt the beam to the side of the post."
That means I have to do a re-inspection (was on my way to another build, should be quick) that reveals the guards are too low ("The guy at the hardware store said 36" was fine... yeah, it's eight feet off the ground.... 42"? That must be a new rule/you guys are makin' crap up.." (so another half-hour of education/arguing/paperwork) that is mercifully followed by a clean final (1 hour travel, inspection, paperwork.)

For a $4,000 deck, that $45 permit fee is offset by 6.5 hours of staff time ($227 assuming $35/hour in salary/benefits/CPP/Comp/etc) and say 200km of driving with gas at $1.50/L and 9L/100km efficiency =$13.50 gas for a total cost incurred of $240.50 means that the taxpayer is subsidizing that deck build to the tune of $195.50; $197 - something if I count the postage stamp, envelope, and waterproof permit cover.

</rant>

I have a 2,750 sf mom-and-pop neighborhood restaurant in one of our developments. The Traffic Impact Fee the City wants paid is $64,000 (our traffic engineer calc'd it at $34,000). You add another $50k for sanitary connection fees, and people wonder why there are only national chain, fast food restaurants in southwest Washington.

Base salary here is $60/hr. Add in the benefits/tax and it reaches $100. Of course we do save a buck or two on the waterproof permit cover.
I was assuming the lowest general for a starting inspector, entry DO and admin - to make a point, I guess.

But I'd take $60/hour. Just saying.

Corona Must Lower Building Permit Fees
A judge issues an order after plaintiffs argue that charges are meant only to recoup costs.
April 30, 2004|Janet Wilson | Times Staff Writer
A judge has ruled that Corona's method of charging for building permits and other construction services is illegal, and ordered city officials to cut fees a total of $332,129 for two years.

Next week, Corona's mayor and City Council are slated to discuss whether to appeal the decision, according an attorney for the city, Jeffrey Dunn.

The ruling is the latest involving lawsuits that homebuilder Barratt American Inc. and Dick McCarthy, a retired developer from Palm Springs, have brought against several California cities and counties, charging that municipal building departments unfairly fatten their budgets with excessive permit fees.

As in many cities, Corona's permit fees were based on the total cost of running its Building Department. But Riverside County Superior Court Judge E. Michael Kaiser ruled that state law requires permit fees to be based on the actual cost of providing a service.

Kaiser this month ordered Corona to "cease and desist using the current methodology" in determining Building Department fees and gave the city 90 days to come up with a new method for setting them. He also said those fees should be reduced over the next two years to make up for the $332,129 in excess revenue the city collected during a certain period.

"This is not to hurt the city; this is just to get them to obey the law," said McCarthy, who started filing lawsuits over local building fees in the late 1990s and now is a consultant for Barratt American, a major Southland homebuilder. "I believe governments should set the example of honesty."

The latest lawsuit was the third brought against Corona since 1997. The plaintiffs lost the previous two, then sued under a different section of state law this time, seeking up to $4 million for three years' worth of back fees from the city, McCarthy said.

Corona officials referred questions about the ruling to Dunn, an Irvine-based attorney who represented Corona in all three lawsuits. Dunn insisted that the ruling was not a victory for the plaintiffs and stemmed from the city's admission on the eve of trial that it had "temporarily overcharged" customers $332,129.

McCarthy said that though he was disappointed the judge had not agreed to return the full $4 million, he and Barratt American would not appeal the decision unless the city did.

"The principle of the win is more important to us than the money," McCarthy said. "The big thing is ... the city of Corona is going to have to adopt a fee system that comports with cost of services."

The city has filed a motion seeking to overturn the ruling, arguing that under state law, no judge can order changes in a city's methodology for determining permit fees. Though such a motion is required before appealing to a higher court, city officials haven't decided whether to actually appeal. The city has already paid Dunn roughly $160,000 to defend against the three lawsuits, he noted.

McCarthy and a co-plaintiff who lives in Corona are also seeking roughly $300,000 in attorney fees. McCarthy said he had tried to negotiate with city building officials for a year, and "if they had agreed to change their methods, I wouldn't have charged them 10 cents."

But Dunn said Corona, which has one of the highest rates of housing construction in the state, had already reduced its fees in previous years.

He noted that under California law, cities cannot go back and ask for additional fees if they find at year end that they have not charged enough to meet costs. He said Corona had a long-standing practice of reducing future fees by the amount they might have overcharged customers in earlier years. That practice is at the heart of nearly a decade's worth of lawsuits.