• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Permit required?

Rick Savala

Good morning. I am a mechanical inspector in VA. Recently a question has come up regarding necessity for a permit. The contractor is replacing an oil furnace with an air handler. Same location, existing duct system. We require permits to change out gas/oil equipment like for like, but do not require a permit to remove a furnace to put in an air handler. Just curious to see how this situation is handled in other places. Thanks.

Welcome,,

How did you find our humble forum??

Give it a day or two for replies

I am thinking most cities would require a permit, electrical,, and maybe other involved in the change,

Plus it would kick in an inspection requirement.

Define air handler?
I assume the "air handler" produces heat to replace the loss of heat from removing the furnace.
Is it fuel by gas or electric. Do you need to run new gas and vents or a new branch circuit for the electric strip heater?

A permit would be required here in Montana and we will combine the electrical into the mechanical permit to keep the fees down provided it is a licensed electrical contractor subbing to the mechanical contractor doing the work.

Here we go with "regional" semantics again, as above please define air handler?
Also, where is it located: basement, garage, closet, attic?

Thanks for the replies. They will be replacing an oil furnace with an electric a/h with backup heat strips. They definitely need an electrical permit for the upgraded circuit, but do they need a mechanical permit to remove the furnace?

Define air handler?
I assume the "air handler" produces heat to replace the loss of heat from removing the furnace.
Is it fuel by gas or electric. Do you need to run new gas and vents or a new branch circuit for the electric strip heater?

A permit would be required here in Montana and we will combine the electrical into the mechanical permit to keep the fees down provided it is a licensed electrical contractor subbing to the mechanical contractor doing the work.
New circuit, but no new fuel lines.

Welcome,,

How did you find our humble forum??

Give it a day or two for replies

I am thinking most cities would require a permit, electrical,, and maybe other involved in the change,

Plus it would kick in an inspection requirement.
Thanks. I found this forum while searching the web for building codes.

Define air handler?
An air handler is usually a large metal box containing a blower, heating or cooling elements, filter racks or chambers, sound attenuators, and dampers. Air handlers usually connect to a ductwork ventilation system that distributes the conditioned air through the building and returns it to the AHU.

please define air handler?
An air handler is usually a large metal box containing a blower, heating or cooling elements, filter racks or chambers, sound attenuators, and dampers. Air handlers usually connect to a ductwork ventilation system that distributes the conditioned air through the building and returns it to the AHU.

Being an HVAC guy for 17 years I know an "air handler" can be as simple as a coil and blower that only requires 120 volts or it can also have an electric strip heater requiring 240 volts because the old reverse cycle AC did not work well below 50 degrees and heat pumps need an alternate source when it gets below 25 or 30 degrees.

I should have been more specific and asked what the heat source in the air handler was going to be.

In my part of Virginia, this would require an electrical and a mechanical permit. Electrical because the load will increase when you add the heat strip and mechanical because this unit's dynamics have changed completely. Is the new blower and heat strip sufficiently sized for the existing load demand of the house? Need an HVAC guy for that. Of course a homeowner is permitted to do the work and pull the permit, but that's a different topic altogether. I would suggest to a homeowner to contract the services of a licensed professional.

Nobody has asked about an outdoor unit. What's happening with that? Is there no outdoor unit, no air conditioning? That would simplify things. I am not an HVAC expert, only a code geek and master electrician, so I will rely on mtlogcabin to provide compatibility requirements if there is an existing outdoor unit.

Also, is there a fuel oil tank associated with the project that will be abandoned or removed? A fire permit may be required fo? See this page for more detail (didn't want to spend time deciphering where all this is in the Fire Prevention Code, this was easier) https://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/landdevelopment/fuel-storage-tanks