• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

PEX VS COPPER

ICE

Oh Well
Staff member
Without considering the cost, please tell me your opinion on pex vs copper. I have to do a re-pipe on my home and I have a choice between type L copper or Uponor pex and shark bite fittings. I might end up living here for a long time. An issue for me is the amount of destruction that is required when cutting open the walls and ceilings....but also the performance. We have four full bath 3 up and one down, kitchen and laundry.

I do not show my behind

But seems like pex my be easier to feed

Not sure on using shark bites hidden?

If in an area that sometimes freezes, pex is supposed to expand.

What's there now that you have to re-pipe it all? Is it cast or something?

My house has a full unfinished basement and is a single story so it'll be way different for you, but I used PEX and don't regret it. House had sat a winter empty with no utilities before we bought it and all the copper trunk lines were busted. I cut all the supply lines that went up through the floor/walls in the middle of the floor joist space, spliced on PEX, and ran all new. I priced it both ways at our local hardware store and saved a decent chunk of $$ over copper. I already had a crimp tool so I used mostly crimp fittings. I did use a couple sharkbites where it was easier vs a crimp because of cramped space, but I like the crimps better.

It's way easier and way faster to run PEX. It doesn't look as good as a neat copper job does, but that's about the only downside IMO.

Disclaimer: I have never installed or worked with PEX other than from a design standpoint.

I designed one apartment building with PEX. I do not recall what brand were working with, but for a given nominal pipe size, PEX had a smaller ID than copper with a higher pressure loss. Plastic fittings were probably cheaper than the metal ones, but they had a higher pressure loss than the metal ones. I had to oversize the PEX pipe due to pressure losses. We ran CPVC mains in the halls and used PEX in the individual apartments.

You can perform your own internet search for petroleum leaching from PEX and decide if it is a concern for you or not. I bet copper has its own chemical issues.

Is sediment build-up a problem? I doubt it will stick to the PEX, not sure about the fittings though.

@ @ @ @

Without considering cost:
Q1): Is cold weather [ i.e. - freezing temps. ] a

regular occurrence or concern for you ?
Q2): Is any of the re-piping that you plan to

do on exterior walls or in your attic space ?
Q3): Are you going to do the work or hire it

done ?.......Pex is typically cheaper & faster to
install.

MY PREFERENCE:
I prefer to work with copper.......That is what
I learned years ago and have practiced with
the most.........Copper piping is less forgiving
as far as "expansion \ contraction" of the
piping, than pex........Regardless if the water
lines are located in exterior walls or attic spaces,
ALL of the piping should be thoroughly insulated.

If you do not have water shut off valves located
at various locations, you should give that some
serious consideration, for when you need to
isolate a leak.........Valves should be thoroughly
insulated too !

IMO, ...the choice of pex vs. copper will come
down to what you are most comfortable with.
For me, ...I prefer copper !

@ @ @ @

As pointed out by others there are advantages and disadvantages to both types of piping, the choice of you will have to make. However, I wouldn't even consider SharkBite fittings except in very limited locations, crimping is definitely the preferred method of making connections in PEX.

With the Knowledge I have, at this time, there are Many Disadvantages on both sides.
  • Copper Pipe Can Not Hold Up Water Acidity, PEX Can.
  • Copper Piping is Expensive
  • Copper Pipe Can Not Hold Up To Chloramines. Chloramine Is A Combination Of Chlorine And Ammonia, Is Used To Treat Drinking Water
  • If Not Properly Reamed, The Pipe burrs Can Cause Turbulence, Turbulence in The Pipes Reduce The Life span Of The System And Will Cause Leaks
  • Copper Piping Does Not Contaminate Water
  • The Manufacturing Process of PEX, is Harmful For The Environment
  • Copper Plumbing Pipes Are Fire Resistant
  • Copper Has Proven Longevity
  • Copper Is Durable
  • Bacteria Cannot Thrive In Copper Pipes
  • PEX Pipes Are Completely Rust And Corrosion Resistant.
  • PEX Is Flexible
  • PEX Is Significantly Cheaper Than Copper.
  • Chloramines Do Not Effect PEX Pipe
  • There Has Been Some Concern And Debate Over Whether PEX Piping Has The Potential To Contaminate Drinking Water Due To The Material's Makeup.
That said, based on the water I get in CA. I would use PEX, make sure the water lines are properly flushed out.

I have a good friend who bought a 30 year old basic lake house, and i helped him completely repipe with px. Basement ceiling was unfinished so most access was easy. Crimped metal connections. The upper floor was framed with flat truss joists, so we had plenty of room to run the new pipes. All considered there were a couple of significant factors that made it easy. We did the work 6 yrs ago, and there has not been a single leak.

I prefer copper because of its antimicrobial properties and it will last 50 or more years if you don't have corrosive water. Unfortunately, I can't afford it, so I'll probably go with PEX in the house we are getting ready to build. I wouldn't consider plastic fittings. Aside from pressure loss, I think that the fittings were more to blame than the pipe when they had all the problems with polybutylene piping 30 or so years ago.

The last house i ever saw a house that was being built with copper was at least 10 years ago. When I went to do a rough plumbing inspection all of it was torn out by some scavenger. Also herd of it being torn out in new finished houses, abandoned and existing homes. Once we had someone stealing copper out of unlocked crawl spaces in about 10 existing houses in one development.

I’m a fan boy of copper unless you water supply is harmful to the pipe material.

Vast majority of homes I see in all price ranges use Pex.

This question would be reminiscent of a time whe sanitary piping was changing over from Ductile iron to PVC.