• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Picnic Shelter

Woodrow

SAWHORSE
I am reviewing set of plans for a 4200 Sq Ft picnic shelter with a full kitchen. Occupant load by designer is 249 people. Has anyone dealt with the requirement for fire suppression? I have classified it as an A-2 which would require fire suppression. Am i missing something? I haven't informed the client yet, but can only imagine the backlash I will receive.

Is it a shelter with no walls? If so, classify as Group A-5. Automatic sprinklers are thereby only required where enclosed area exceeds 1,000sf. (IBC 903.2.1.5)

A-2 are intended for food and/or drink (which this is) and also fits neatly into the "Restaurants, cafeterias, and similar dining facilities"

A-5 is for "participating in or viewing outdoor activities". You could say that eating and drinking is an activity, and that you are outdoors because you don't have walls.

302.1 says that where a structure is proposed for a purpose that is not specifically listed in this section, such a structure shall be classified in the group that the occupancy most nearly resembles, according to fire safety and relative hazard.

I started typing this post to say that this structure most nearly resembles an A-2, but upon reading 302.1 I realized that while this picnic area certainly resembles a restaurant, by only considering the fire safety and relative hazard of each occupancy, I think you are closer to an A-5 if there are no walls to obstruct egress and prevent the dissipation of smoke.

That is my opinion.

A-2 are intended for food and/or drink (which this is) and also fits neatly into the "Restaurants, cafeterias, and similar dining facilities"

A-5 is for "participating in or viewing outdoor activities". You could say that eating and drinking is an activity, and that you are outdoors because you don't have walls.

302.1 says that where a structure is proposed for a purpose that is not specifically listed in this section, such a structure shall be classified in the group that the occupancy most nearly resembles, according to fire safety and relative hazard.

I started typing this post to say that this structure most nearly resembles an A-2, but upon reading 302.1 I realized that while this picnic area certainly resembles a restaurant, by only considering the fire safety and relative hazard of each occupancy, I think you are closer to an A-5 if there are no walls to obstruct egress and prevent the dissipation of smoke.

That is my opinion.
I agree... to which, that is why I have used this approach before.

Shade structures in a parks are commonly used for all sorts of events, but most commonly for picnics, birthdays and other celebrations, etc. Often there are charcoal BBQ pits/stands nearby.

However, the primary intent of these structures is to be accessory to the park. They are an amenity within the park environment. Therefore, the primary use is the enjoyment of the park and the outdoor space. Yes, food and drink will be enjoyed. But for an unenclosed roof structure, there is little hazard as it relates to egress during a fire or other event. For that reason, I truly believe that A-5 is a fair and reasonable designation to use.

Thanks for the info guys. I did a little more research, this is at a church so now i am leaning towards an A3.

Thanks for the info guys. I did a little more research, this is at a church so now i am leaning towards an A3.
Can be, if that helps you. Since it is separated from the church building, there is no reason to stay with an A-3 occupancy. Also note that A-3 uses has notes in parentheses that exclude food and drink and spectator seating in some of the assembly uses, from which I infer that dining areas were not necessarily intended to be included in A-3. It is not specifically forbidden to classify what you are dealing with as an A-3.

In my opinion, in regards to the fire safety and relative hazard, you are probably still closer to an A-5. However, this is the AHJ's call to make.

302.1 Occupancy classification.
Occupancy classification is the formal designation of the primary purpose of the building, structure or portion thereof.

Classify it as an A-3 no sprinklers required. Just because there is a kitchen does not mean the primary purpose of the structure is to serve food and drinks.

303.4 Assembly Group A-3.
Group A-3 occupancy includes assembly uses intended for worship, recreation or amusement and other assembly uses not classified elsewhere in Group A including, but not limited to:

Can anyone find a picnic shelter with fire sprinklers anywhere?
I've seen a couple that had sprinkler systems installed. They were fairly large and although they were open about one quarter of the structure, one curved end basically was enclosed with a huge fireplace in the entire building had a dry sprinkler system.

Type of Kitchen Equipment?
Type of construction?
Fire severity zone?
Open sides?
Enclosed areas?

As MH indicates, type of cooking equipment as in open flame vs other would seem to be a concern to consider.