• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Piers capped with 4" solids?

Buelligan

Maybe you guys can help? The IRC appendix for mobile homes states that all piers must be capped with 4" solids. Do you consider putting a 1 1/2" solid under the wood shims to be capped with 4" solid? Should the 1 1/2" be under the 4" solid? Would the concentrated load from the shim be too much for the small block? Thoughts? Thanks guys!

attachment.php

To really inspect a MH setup you need the manufacturers' installation installations. That said half height blocks (4") are used to help adjust for overall height and when used they need to be solid, no hollow 4" blocks and they are the minimum height for cmu blocks. Another method of height adjustment is to use 2x or plywood between the staked blocks.The code section you referenced has "or equivalent" and typically most states that have their own MH programs and manufacturers installation installations allow 2x material or rips of 1-1/8" plywood as cap material just so long as it's the same size as the block.What I would be concerned about in your photo is what appears to be a half width 1 1/2" block. I would not accept the 1-1/2" block full width or not. I would recommend replacing the 1-1/2" block with a 2x material and that has the added benefit of making it easier to adjust the wedges.Excerpt from the HUD's installation standards.

View attachment 455

View attachment 455

/monthly_2011_07/MHCCInstallationStandardsFinalRule.jpg.2a5f1e9ff41bf2bc1231bc4374b816fc.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The 1 1/2" are likely patio block with little or no compressive strength, that would be my biggest concern.

I don't know where you are, but states often license and permit moving and installation of these dwellings. They usually defer first to manufacturer's specs, but do publish standard instructions as a "default" set. Anchorage and support, utility connections, heating and cooling.