• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Pitfalls of Epoxy Coated Rebar

Very good and simplistic overview of a complex subject. The rebar does not appear to be affected by one climate over another and use or road salts and brine vs. no use.

Is it possible rebar isn’t the problem or solution to be looked at, what about concrete? Why not seek answers using additional admixtures in concrete and differing materials? Maybe each bridge or roadway needs a form of catholic protection.

We non engineer and scientists only speculate and throw out arbitrary ideas without true data, research and documentation to make it relevant.

That was interesting and worth watching. Key ... I think you meant cathodic not catholic. :} Ahh ... dang speel chek ... I had to go back and correct what it corrected, so maybe you typed the rite wurd.

One thought ... all infrastructure is built with a certain design life. And typically we try to stretch life to the max and beyond ... deferred maintenance and deferred replacement. Wasn’t too long ago there was a bunch of stuff in the news about crumbling infrastructure and the huge cost of replacement.

That was interesting and worth watching. Key ... I think you meant cathodic not catholic. :} Ahh ... dang speel chek ... I had to go back and correct what it corrected, so maybe you typed the rite wurd.

One thought ... all infrastructure is built with a certain design life. And typically we try to stretch life to the max and beyond ... deferred maintenance and deferred replacement. Wasn’t too long ago there was a bunch of stuff in the news about crumbling infrastructure and the huge cost of replacement.

Blessed be the bridges and roadways..

Often value engineering overlooks useable life in their calc's for infrastructure "duh!" You pay now or pay "more" later.

Often value engineering overlooks useable life in their calc's
Au contraire mademoiselle. They know what they are doing, they VE the design to get the cost to work out for the expected life. Nothing more. I read a book, something like “engineering disasters” things like the kemper arena and others. One recurring element in the design was lack of redundancy. When one small item failed, the surrounding items had been built to just do their job and nothing more, so it started zippering.