• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Planes you don't normally see at airports

mmmarvel

Staff member
So yeah, we don't do commerical jets, we do other kinds of planes.

Uh, you don't see this plane, it doesn't exist, it's not here, never mind, nothing to see, move on!

Yup, it's a high flying spy plane.

Here is a closer picture of it's engine.

This plane is called the Guppy. I've thrown in a couple pictures to help keep it's scale in mind. I have watched in fly and you find yourself just shaking your head and trying to figure out how it stays air born.

I do not know how to post it but last week a 747 jumbo jet "Dreamlifter" landed at a small airport in Wichita and part of the town was shut down to allow for safety while it lifted off from the short runway.

Gregg Harris said:
I do not know how to post it but last week a 747 jumbo jet "Dreamlifter" landed at a small airport in Wichita and part of the town was shut down to allow for safety while it lifted off from the short runway.
Yep

One of those oops

Lucky they brought in some pilots that knew how to fly the plane and get it off the ground

cda said:
have seen the guppy, the other one is old!!!!!! WB-57F
There are actually TWO of the spy planes that come and go from my airport. The one pictured has the NASA logo on the tail, the other one (which was here today) has no markings on the tail and I suspect none on the wings either.

Re: Planes you don't normally see at airports

I work for an airport and here are my contributions. I like taking pictures of unusual planes.
uta2yny9.jpg
4unutege.jpg
aqa3a9yr.jpg

Builder Bob said:
I am not sure, but the first plane looks almost as a Russian manufacture........ An An -124 perhaps?
That is what I read on the side

Kind of a C-5 knock off

Check this out. I get to use the ICC corporate jet this week!!! Woo Hoo!!!

View attachment 990

Post script: By the way we do not have a corp jet. I thought that perhaps somebody might mistake my poor attempt at levity for something else. Keep warm everybody!View attachment 990

/monthly_2014_01/572953d0b6e84_CorpJet.jpg.088f81845372f1865cd79ccd560e9c30.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
jpranch said:
Check this out. I get to use the ICC corporate jet this week!!! Woo Hoo!!!View attachment 2250Post script: By the way we do not have a corp jet. I thought that perhaps somebody might mistake my poor attempt at levity for something else. Keep warm everybody!
Glad ICC finally moved into modern aviation, don't want them to behind the times

jpranch said:
Wayne, wheres the security people for Air Force One??? Just wondering?
Just the other side of the plane. There's a red rope just behind me that I can't cross or I'll risk getting shot. Off camera a local cop is also watching me. My security clearance allows me to get only this close which incidentally is the closest the local cop can get too. :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
Wayne:

How many planes come in with Air Force 1? The president is constantly coming into SFO to collect money from the tech industry, traffic is tied up all over Silicon Valley while he solicits money, to carry his fleet of limousines and carry all his staff I have to wonder how many planes come in and if they are all 747s?

Usually it's AF1 and a C5. The cargo plane will come several days before with the vehicles and Secret Service staff. Interestingly the backup plane will land at the nearby Air Force base.

It messes up traffic when a president comes. The tour operators hate it because they can't fly helicopters or planes to the Grand Canyon anytime during the days of the visit. It's tough for us too because all construction comes to a halt as well. I got stuck on the tarmac once when Bush flew in. About fifteen minutes out from landing all vehicle traffic on the tarmac must "freeze" until the president leaves the property. I sat there for an hour once ten feet from an exit gate.

Thanks Wayne, I always wonder because all I see is Air Force One coming in yet I know there are at least two others and you have confirmed that and explained why I don't see three planes coming in. I sit in traffic unable to do my work while I see my tax dollars being burned up supporting political causes, I don't care which party the President belongs to but don't want to pay a President to panhandle and stop commerce in the process, they all ought to sit in the damn White House and do the job they are being paid to do.