• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Please hemp me out

Sifu

SAWHORSE
Sorry for the pun but it probably got your attention.
I have a rush of hemp extraction facilities being proposed, and I don't quite know how to handle them.

First, I guess I need to know if a hemp extraction facility would be considered the same as a marijuana extraction facility and/or a CBD extraction facility. To me the process would determine the code path, not the product........but I really don't know.

Second, and I know a lot of this depends on the answer to my first question, would the extraction room be considered an F-1 as long as the solvents and chemicals used don't exceed the maximum allowable quantities for it to be considered an H occupancy?

Third, if the extraction room exceeds the allowable quantities and is a group H, does it not need sprinklers? Per 903.2.5 (2018 IBC) H occupancies must be suppressed, yet 508.4 shows separation in an NS building for H2, H3, and H4. So I am a little confused.

Thanks for any and all input on these facilities.

Interesting

Are they extracting for cbd?

Have they submitted a process method along with chemicals to be used?? And quantities to be stored.

Q1: I would say the process and the product would determine the code path.

Q2: I would classify this as a Group F-1 since it involves a combustible material as a focus of the process. If the quantities of hazardous materials exceed those permitted by Tables 307.1(1) and 307.1(2), then it would be classified in the applicable Group H occupancy.

Q3: Yes, all Group H occupancies are required to have sprinklers. Section 903.2.5.1 only requires the sprinkler system within the Group H (except for Group H-5 per Section 903.2.5.2). Table 508.4 requires the sprinkler system throughout the building to use the "S" ratings. So, a Group H may have the required sprinkler, but if it's permitted to be attached to other occupancies in the same building that are not sprinklered, then the "NS" ratings must be used.

Thanks for the concise replies. That is a great explanation to Q3. But just to be clear, if the building were non-separated (since they are under the hts/areas and suppressed by 903.2.5.1) could they have 1-hr separation per 414.2.4 (single story), otherwise in the non-suppressed building they would need to be considered separated occupancies and go with t508.4 and be 2-hr? Sorry this is so confusing.

They are calling it "hemp extraction". From what I read the distinction is in the plant (hemp is different than marijuana??) and the THC content of the final product. Both the processes seem the same but I am finding very little info on "hemp extraction" as opposed to CBD extraction. They have not submitted a process nor materials, something I already asked for. The submittal is as bare bones as it gets, not sure if that is because the DP knows too little or too much. I know which category I fit in.

One other thing, is it a given that they will need a hazardous exhaust system? 2018 IMC 510.2 provides a list of times when it will be required but who determines this? In this case the engineer has not, but confidence is not high at this point.

I want to say these are the same:;

hemp extraction" as opposed to CBD extraction.

Both are supposed to have no or hardly traceable thc

Depending on which Group H occupancy applies, if the building is nonseparated, the Group H will likely be the most restrictive occupancy group. Even with a sprinkler system (if installed throughout) the allowable area cannot be increased for Groups H-1, H-2, and H-3.

IBC Section 414.2.4 only applies to control areas. If the entire story is the control area, then no separation is required between the Group H and other occupancy groups. The only exceptions are that IBC Section 415.9.2 requires gas storage rooms in a Group H-3 and H-4 be separated from the rest of the building with 1-hour fire barriers, and spaces with highly toxic solids and liquids not stored in approved cabinets must be separated from other hazardous storage areas with 1-hour fire barriers.

IBC Table 508.4 would only apply if the separated occupancies method is necessary for compliance with the allowable area.

Regarding ventilation, IFC Section 5004.3 requires a ventilation system in hazardous material storage areas.

We have two underway right now.

2018 IFC gives some guidance, Chapter 39

Can't comment further, been so friggen busy, it is in my Senior Plans Examiner and the FM's Office review.

We have two underway right now.

2018 IFC gives some guidance, Chapter 39

Can't comment further, been so friggen busy, it is in my Senior Plans Examiner and the FM's Office review.

Wow,

Not my farther’s code book.

I found that the 2018 NFPA 1 also gives pretty good guidance. I have spent about 10 hours reading and watching videos, I feel lite-headed. Can you get a contact high just from reading about this stuff. I feel pretty good about it now but typically when that happens I get slapped down hard as I learn answers to questions I didn't even know to ask.

I found that the 2018 NFPA 1 also gives pretty good guidance. I have spent about 10 hours reading and watching videos, I feel lite-headed. Can you get a contact high just from reading about this stuff. I feel pretty good about it now but typically when that happens I get slapped down hard as I learn answers to questions I didn't even know to ask.
2018 NFPA 1, New Chapter 38 addresses the growing and processing of marijuana (which includes all forms of cannabis as well as hemp) in both new and existing buildings.
The extraction section is then split up by general provisions and then requirements specific to the extraction solvent, as follows:

• 38.1 Application
  • 38.2 Permits
  • 38.3 Fire Protection Systems
  • 38.4 Means of Egress
  • 38.5 Growing or Production of Marijuana (including ventilation, fumigation, and pesticide application)
  • 38.6 Processing or Extraction
    • General (extraction room, staffing, operator training, signage, equipment, approval for equipment with no listing, equipment field verifications)
    • LP Gas Extraction
    • Flammable and Combustible Liquids Extraction
    • CO2 extraction
    • Transfilling

I heard reading codes,,,, kills brain cells.