• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Plumbing running in footing

rrossi

I am building a small 400sqft house and it is a monolithic slab. The plumbers ran the water lines to the fixtures in the tench for the footing. They are sleeved and it did pass the plumbing inspection but I’m really wondering if this will affect the foundation.
Thanks, Rick.

The phrase monolithic slab is not a precise term and can apply to multiple situations.

Water lines which I assume will have a diameter less than 1" OD should have no impact on the capacity of the footings. The sewer lines may be a bigger issue. Multiple parallel pipes placed close together in the concrete may create problems.

The plumbing code has requirements for sleeves around the pipes as they pass through concrete.

You should not place copper pipe so that it comes in contact with metal in the concrete. It will corrode.

Do not let a plumber near a chain saw

Just because a plumber (or others) says it is, doesn't always mean it is so. Unintended (overlooked) consequences can and may occur.