• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Pocket Door: Accessible Privacy Latch

Fort

Silver Member
I had this come up at a site inspection where they are installing a fitting room at a retail store in CA.

So, accessibility per CBC 2010, Ch. 11B.

And it has a pocket door. No problem there.

They were smart and installed a bumper to hold the door out of the cavity enough to have a proper pull handle.

Like this: http://www.johnsonhardware.com/images/pdf/handicap_acc.pdf

So the issue is how to provide an accessible privacy latching mechanism.

This is as close as I can find:

http://www.doorware.com/site/product.cfm?id=10503

You see that it is a deadbolt, but it "grabs" into the strike.

The only problem is the throw is slightly recessed, and does not appear to pass the test of "tight grasping, pinching, or twisting."

If the throw was larger, more of a "paddle" or lever it just might work.

Any ideas?

Some folks may recommend this:

http://www.trimcobbw.com/door-hardware/products/door-pulls-and-grips/1069.asp

A paddle thing from TrimCo, but that is not necessary since the door will never be fully pushed back into the pocket.

See what I mean about the Trimco product, anyone from either side of the door can "unlock" it...doesn't provide real privacy.

Let's just get it over with: ADA compliance and pocket doors do not go together. Period. Privacy and pocket doors do not go together. Period. A review of the hardware referenced so far illustrates that. A Baldwin 8500 is about the best pocket latch, but I am pretty certain it isn't compliant.

UNLESS... just how big of a project is this (budget), and how involved do you want to get with it?

Is there no other option? One fitting room cannot be a swinging door?

do all the fitting rooms have to be accessable? if in a bathroom here in Mass. all the bathroom stalls do not have to be accessable just a certian percentage or atleast 1, why should all the dressing rooms in a group have to be accessable.

TheCommish said:
do all the fitting rooms have to be accessable? if in a bathroom here in Mass. all the bathroom stalls do not have to be accessable just a certian percentage or atleast 1, why should all the dressing rooms in a group have to be accessable.
"...at least 5 percent, but no fewer than one...."

Only one here. So it's gotta be accessible as Mark states.

That Trimco 1074-2 looks pretty cool, seems like there could be more products like this.

cda good idea; perhaps similar to those hook and loop found on screen doors but oversized for accessibility. To save space the handle assembly can be mounted on the wall instead of the door.Francis

View attachment 586

View attachment 587

View attachment 586

View attachment 587

/monthly_2012_05/imagesCAJY2JV7.jpg.2f85eaeea5bf653bd1c905cd10cb65d2.jpg

/monthly_2012_05/imagesCASGM407.jpg.7de6f54be8b5b5dee0123594c48f7d78.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Trimco 1074-2. Now THAT is pretty cool!

I see that with a 36" pocket door, it becomes non-compliant again: Door projects 3-7/8" from pocket at full open, plus the 1/2" or 5/8" stop at bumper jamb leaves 31-1/2" clear.

I also see it's U.L. listed... I wonder what for?

Doorman said:
Trimco 1074-2. Now THAT is pretty cool!I see that with a 36" pocket door, it becomes non-compliant again: Door projects 3-7/8" from pocket at full open, plus the 1/2" or 5/8" stop at bumper jamb leaves 31-1/2" clear.

Possibly medical use, saw them at an assisted living home, the state wanted the doors to latch

Doorman said:
I'm curious too . . . fire & panic hardware; is there one for door hardware per ICC/ANSI A117.1 404.2.6?

Is what being suggested any less compliant than latches and lever handles in restrooms?

Francis

Is what being suggested any less compliant than latches and lever handles in restrooms?
Many of the suggested latches are compliant with Title III. However, the function of a privacy latch in a public dressing/changing room is to provide privacy, and still be operable from the outside without special tools in the case of some trouble inside the dressing space (medical issue, for example). The circumstance of a curious child simply lifting the Trimco latch would be a problem... probably not in a retirement home setting, but in a busy department store?