• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Pole Sign (Billboard) Clearances from Adjacent Structure

mgpxl

Good evening all,

A friend is looking at a C-2 zoned Site, with possibility to develop some multi-unit residential. There is currently a billboard owned by a third party, who's still got 6 more years. It's a pole sign in Los Angeles, the bottom of the Sign itself is 30 feet.

He asked me to do some quick studies to see if the project is worth moving forward. Although, I am not sure where to look regarding clearances for new structures around the billboard. Whether it is 12" or 12', I need to know what are my tolerances to work with.

Any input or direction for where to look would be much appreciated. I found the "LA Sign Manual," though that did not answer my questions.

Thanks everyone!

Jake

Your best bet to check with local building code officials. They will be the ones approving the plans that are ultimately developed so getting in contact with them upfront will certainly be a benefit. They should be able to tell you about any code requirements that are involved.

You also need to contact the owner of the sign because it's quite likely that the contract that they had signed to allow them to put the sign in that location has some restrictions regarding the construction of other structures in the area that will block the sightlines.