• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Pool bonding

Mr. Inspector

SAWHORSE
The term "Equipotential bonding grid" is not used in the 2009 IRC

E4201.2 (2) The perimeter surface shall extend for 3 feet horiz. beyond the inside walls of the pool and shall include unpaved surfaces, poured concrete and other types of paving. Bonding to perimeter surfaces shall be specified in item 2.1 or 2.2 and shall be attached to the pool, spa, or hot tub reinforcing steel or copper conductor grid at a min. of 4 points................

Looks like above ground pools and hot tubs need to have a conductor 6" deep around it. You can't just put a hot tub on a patio anymore. you need to dig down for the bonding wire for hot tubs and above ground pools.

Also it looks like a gas water heater does not need to be bonded. Can't find anything on this. Only Electric heaters that are over 50 amps must be bonded only if it has specific instructions (E4304.2 (6.2). I think the '06 IRC wanted all metal parts associated with the pool had to be bonded.

I believe E4204.1 states "equipotential bonding". But your are correct under the 2008 NEC or 2009 IRC. This issue was corrected under the 2011 NEC with TIA 11-1. Perhaps your local AHJ would accept this amendment under the cuurent code. Go here for details:

http://www.nfpa.org/Assets/files/AboutTheCodes/70/TIA70-11-1.pdf

I don't believe your reference to E4304.2 is correct for bonding requirments??? Are you sure E3609 doesn't require proper bonding at water heaters and such?

E4201.1 states the wiring methods apply to all metallic equipment, "such as pumps, filters and similar equipment"

E4204.1 does reference "equipotential bonding"

E4204.2 6.2 does specifically state only pools heaters over 50a require bonding. Strange. But it is what it says.