• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

pool pump control panels with gfci

BSSTG

Gold Member
Greetings all,

I was wondering if anybody has seen a pump contol panel built to accomodate the gfci requirements of the 2011 NEC 680.21 ©. I have never have understood why for so long gfci protection was required for spas and not pool pumps. Well, now we have it.

In our community here we have 3 new pools just built and best I can figure is that the panel these guys have installed have no gfci protection for the pumps, just the lights. They have not called in for finals yet so it will be interesting. The elect contractor is a reputable firm from Houston so I don't expect any real head wind but you never know.

Input is most welcome!

BS

The FSPA (Florida Swimming Pool Association) & the APSP (Association of Pool & Spa Professionals) lhas lobbied for years to prevent GFCI protection of pool equipment. In fact, when this change was added to the 2008 NEC, these associations got an exception added to the Florida Building Code for residential installation. I had that exception removed in the 2010 FBC.

That being said, the pool equipment manufacturer's really have no excuss for not having GFCI compatible equipment. ANSI/UL1081 was revised to require all pool pump motors to be marked as being required to be GFCI protected effective 5-10-11.

What you need to watch out for is proper marking and labeling on pool controller panelboards indicating manufacturer & model number of the breaker types that have been listed for use with the panelboard. Many only list one or two manufacturer's and model types. Use of any other breaker type, even if it "fits", is not codecompliant (110.3(B) NEC.