• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

pool pump timers

Mr. Inspector

SAWHORSE
N1103.8.2 Time switches that can automatically turn off and on heaters and pumps according to a preset schedule shall be installed on swimming pool heaters and pumps

How many inspectors think this means that you need a timer on a pool pump if there is no heater?

This requirement seems to be for all pools: in-ground, above-ground, storable pools, and hot tubs. The definition of pool also includes simipermanent and therapeutic. A hot tub is therapeutic, but is a storable pool simipermanent?

A wonderfully idiotic idea; granted I have a 20 yr old spa that has a 7 day timeclock operating system because;

I THOUGHT IT WAS A GOOD IDEA!! it is and was;

but it can be on or off for as long as I want. don't tell anbody or they will develop a schedule of permitted hours

and usage by body weight!

Heaters and pumps.

If I have a heater I need a timer.

If I have a pump I need a timer.

It's an energy code requirement, intended to reduce energy usage.

It also helps to keep your pool sanitary without burning out your pump motor.

The pool pump.

They would not simply plug it in, they would have to install a timer for a storable pool.

The definition for a pool includes semi permanent pools and pools used for wading. Does this include storable pools?

Great info! we have the same issue, I call an expert to fix my pool pumps. Its functioning well now.

Rick18071 said:
How many inspectors think this means that you need a timer on a pool pump if there is no heater?
N1103.8 Pools. Pools shall be provided with energy conserving

measures in accordance with Sections N1103.8.1 through

N1103.8.3.

N1103.8.2 Time switches. Time switches that can automatically

turn off and on heaters and pumps according to a preset

schedule shall be installed on swimming pool heaters and

pumps.

Exceptions:

1. Where public health standards require 24-hour pump

operation.

2. Where pumps are required to operate solar- and

waste-heat-recovery pool heating systems.

Well I'll be darn!!! Guess what my pool contractors are going to have to start doing?

It's amazing what you'll learn on this board!!

I'd be inclined to call a storable pool semi permanent. Websters dictionary says " semi permanent- lasting or intended to last for a long time, but not permanent. "

noah webster wrote the dictionary, daniel webster was a statesmen